Saxophone Forum

by lauren
(4 posts)
14 years ago

new to saxaphone

I am diabled veteran and looking to play the alto saxphone. I dont have much money and I dont want a used one. I like Kessler custom saxphone antique one for $799. I dont know if this is the best for the price. I dont read notes so I have to start from scratch. Any help will be appreciated... than you Lauren

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mr breeze
    (3 posts)

14 years ago

Re: new to saxaphone

I am new here so perhaps what I have to say is too little too late. The other responses while all technically correct are of little value to you. I have been playing sax since 1965 and still do . I have played on good horns and bad. As a learner you will absolutely not be able to tell the difference between a good sax and a bad one. And price is not the definitive measure of a sax's playablity. Until you have developed a reasonable amount of skill as a player there is no reason for you to spend a lot of money on what someone else tells you is a good sax. And since the vast majority of people who aspire to learn how to play an instrument quit before reaching the accomplishment it would be wiser not to invest heavily because you will not get your money back in full. Spend the money you can afford on whatever sax you find at that price. Then wait to see if you fall in love. If you are not driven to constantly pick the instrument even when you are only able to blow a few notes. If you have to organize practice as a routine rather than being constantly drawn to it. Then sadly you probably will not master any instrument. Every musician I have ever known is in love with making music on his particular instrument (or hers). It is what they do to relax. It is a part of them which is unescapable and undeniable. Think of these things and explore your reality. After that worry about which sax is better than which. A great sax player can make beautiful sounds on an old leaky crap horn. A beginner alas sounds like a beginner even on the most expensive horn ever made. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer here or at [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by eztalk
    (4 posts)

14 years ago

I have a very nice Conn Saxaphone for sale @ $575. Gently used (looks new) Alto Saxaphone; gold with silver (nickle-plated) keys and mother of pearl.Built in Elkhardt, Indiana in 1960's. Gift received from grandparents, but I played the clarinet so this instrument has been played very little. It looks new -- has a great sound! Hard case and all accessories.

Reply To Post

1. by lauren
      (4 posts)

14 years ago

Thank you for the offer. Does it have to be tuned since it was sitting. I just have a hard time with anything used especially something so personal... thank you...How much was the saxaphone... Lauren

Reply To Post

1. by eztalk
        (4 posts)

14 years ago

it sounds great to me so I don't know if it needs to be tuned (doubtful, but up to you). i am selling it for $575 and you pay shipping (I live in Utah).

Reply To Post

2. by eztalk
        (4 posts)

14 years ago

it sounds great to me so I don't know if it needs to be tuned (doubtful, but up to you). i am selling it for $575 and you pay shipping (I live in Utah).

Reply To Post

1. by lauren
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

Thank you bu I would like a new...If I change my mind and you still have yours I would let you know... I do appreciate it... If anyone can help me with a new alto saxaphone. Kessler custom or any other less than a thousand.. I dont have anyone around to teach me. How do I get lesson, onling? Lauren

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

lauren, saxes don't have to be tuned like pianos!! Some may be out of tune with itself, especially those that are new and under $700.00 dollars, You will really take a chance on these cheap horns. You would be better served with a used name brand Alto like the Yamaha student line or other name brands. Good luck and thank you for your service......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by lauren
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

Hi, do you think Kessler custom alto is cheap. The one Im looking at is 699.? They say it will be toned before leaving.. Im so confused. Lauren

Reply To Post

4. by eztalk
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

You are welcome. Good luck in your search! This CONN is not a cheap insturment -- the later ones built in Nogales - yes. This one is made in the USA! CONN has a quality history until the 70's when production was moved to Mexico. I guess you would have to see this saxaphoneand play it to know what an exceptionally fine instrument it is. Because it has been so gently yet rarely used, it still looks brand new. Best wishes in your search=]

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Any good new saxophone is a lot of money, more than you admit you want to spend. There is so much junk on the market!! A old Conn in good shape would be a good buy for under $700.00. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but advice is what you are here for. A cheap good new horn does not exist. $700.00 is very cheap for any new horn, don't waste your money on a piece of junk!!
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM