Saxophone Forum

by bibbage
(22 posts)
14 years ago

Yanigasawa Straight Soprano

Hi. Today I looked at a 20 year old Yani Straight soprano (no model shown on sax, one piece sax) which is in immaculate condition and seems to play well, although I normally play Tenor. The only problem is that at the top of the instrument just down from the neck cork there is a ripple on one side of the sax, it is smooth and looks as though it should be there. The ripple seems to go half way round, the other side is completely flat and smooth. The sax appears to be completely straight and all the keys work ok. My question is, is this normal, has anyone seen this before, is it damage or did Yani make sopranos this way. Thanks for any advice.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by luiyo456
    (18 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Yanigasawa Straight Soprano

I have never seen or read about this until now, but it seems to be a production defect, the question is, it is a laquer poor job or a metal defect, if is a laquqer could a be a relaquer poor job....but if it sounds ok, I do not see the problem, on sax instruments the most important issue is their sound, specially if it is the owner's preference.

Reply To Post

1. by bibbage
      (22 posts)

14 years ago

I have only blown this soprano so I'm no expert, but I don't want to buy this one if it has a defect or has been damaged. It certainly didn't look as if it was damage, but it's too expensive to risk. On another forum I had a reply saying that their sax was the same as I described, but I can't get this confirmed.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

14 years ago

I'd say from your description that at one time the neck pipe had been slightly bent. It also sounds like, from your description, that it had been competently repaired. This should not affect the playing of the horn. Yani's are fine sopranos..

Reply To Post