Saxophone Forum

by kelsey
(930 posts)
14 years ago

Jody Jazz

I bought a Jody Jazz HR 7 alto mouthpiece. I usually play on a old New York Meyers 6m. The Jody plays better!! I didn't know that something new could be good? Plus the service with Jody was great. He even called me on the phone to tell me thanks for the order.........Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz

Day two of playing the Jody. It isn't better that the Meyers old New York 6m, only different! It is as responsive and sounds great, but the sound is different. It has a more compact sound than the Meyers and plays a little cleaner. I am recording both pieces and listening to see which I like the best....but both are keepers...........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

I just got the JJ classic in the mail today, and due to actually having to go places, only got to play it 5-10 minutes today. Now that you mention it, it does have a tinge of the NY meyer I tried a while ago.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber, I talked with Jody before I ordered and told him what I had been playing on. He suggested either the HR 7 or the DV. The DVs are months back on orders. I decided to try the HR 7 and wait for the DV to become available. I have been comparing the Old Meyers with the Jody for the last couple of days. The Jody has a more compact sound than the Meyers. It's much easier to play and control than my old piece. I still haven't really decided which one I like the best. I may still try a DV. I am not a mouthpiece guy, I have always liked my sound on the Meyer, but I needed somthing new to give my practicing a kick in the pants. I can't afford a new horn so the $137.00 for the Jody seemed like a fun thing to try..........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by s4x_101
          (1 post)

14 years ago

hey Kelsey your story in your first two initial post sound similar to mine. I bought the Jody Jazz HR 7 just cause I could afford it and at first I thought it was so much better then my Meyer 7m, but after a few days of being picked on about my sound being different then it used to I said man I love my Meyer. So now I have an Jody Jazz mouthpiece just dusting away in my saxophone case. Im now trying to sell it.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

After a couple hours playing the piece, Im pretty annoyed that there is a constant airy sound. I always have this problem with chambers that arent round.... Though I should go through my reed collection and try a couple different things. DVs are too expensive for me- Im not dropping 300 for a mouthpiece. I got my Ref 54 around january, and the next gig being a classical one, guess who got a classical mouthpiece? Anyway, kinda wish I ordered a HR to try... oh well.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

t6
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

The above is a mistake. God save me from computers.
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have been having trouble lately with the Meyer's upper register. I don't have that problem with the Jody. I like the sound of the old Meyer better, I am sending it off to be looked at and corrected. In the meantime, the Jody plays and sounds great and will make a great backup..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

definately sending the JJ classic back, and ordering a HR. The classic is a good mouthpiece, but not really what I want sound-wise. Kinda figured out the airy issue, though still sounds a bit dirty occasionally.

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

HR came today..... would have come a week ago, but WWBW decided to send a guitar strap instead...... Both are useful, but hardly interchangeable. Anyway, I really like the mouthpiece, except the sound isnt clean occasionally. Mostly it depends on how flat the reed is, but its a lot more sensitive to it than any other mouthpiece Ive had.

Reply To Post

8. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I am keeping my HR 7 for a spare, but it's not as good a mouthpiece that my old NY Meyers is!! I took the HR to a four hour gig and it almost killed my chops. I ended up playing the last hour on the Meyer. But if I didn't have the Meyer I'd probably play the Jody!!
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

9. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

14 years ago

Jody Jazz ESP Question

Maybe a little bit off topic: Does anybody made the experience, that with an Jody Jazz ESP 7 on Alto the middle D becomes considerably higher?? any comments welcome, thanks. marching jazz band berlin

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Jody Jazz ESP Question

I have noticed I have to drop a half-strength in reeds to play it comfortably, or at least a well-broken in reed.

Reply To Post

11. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I use Rico Jazz Select 2m!! I think the bigger the mouthpiece the softer reed to be used. Too soft reeds cause trouble for me in the upper register!! I think it's best to find a mouthpiece that sort of works, then practice till it does.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

12. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

After playing the mouthpiece for a bit, it became very clear that it does NOT get along with Vandoren reeds very well. Which is just as well, because it gives me an excuse to go back to Alexanders.

Reply To Post

13. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

i cant get a clean sound on the thing. so much for jody jazz.

Reply To Post