Saxophone Forum

by Sazzy_Sax
(14 posts)
20 years ago

Legit Julius Keilwerth?

Does anyone have any recommendations to the above??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sazzy_Sax
    (14 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Legit Julius Keilwerth?

erm... recommendations as in the setup.. what mouthpiece to be used, reeds, ligatures and so on?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

keilwerth isnt really a legit sax - its more traditional.

Reply To Post

1. by Sazzy_Sax
        (14 posts)

20 years ago

hm... but is it possible to make it sound classical? the dark big tone??

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

you can play anything on pretty much anyhorn, other than maybe the super 20 which would be WAY much for anyhting other than symphonic stuff. But I mean, there are cheaper horns out there that will do the legit job better that will have a higher chance of functionality. If you were to get one, I think an s-80 might actually do pretty good on it - even though it is a piece of crap, it might balance out the traditional with the profanely contemporary.

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i'd like to have a legit horn, but since i don't have nearly enough need i use my keilwerth. it's mostly a practice/embeschure thing, but having an s-80 and a darker rovner(the dark or MK-II or maybe the daniels set right) can help. It's hard, but you can do it. But it really is more about you. i can get decent legit tone off my bundy special(keilwerth ex-90r. yeah, ex-90 with rolled tone holes) and meyer. The meyer is just so easy to control it helps.

Reply To Post

3. by Sazzy_Sax
          (14 posts)

20 years ago

thanks to all tt replied.. spike: what kind of mouthpiece do u use? the opening of the mouthpiece?? is selmer C80 good for classical playing??

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I can say almost definitively that his piece is a C* - almost never see anything else ecept on sops and baris. normally the s-80 is an abymsal piece of junk, but on a modern, traditional horn, I think it would go very nice along with it.

Reply To Post

5. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

actually, it's a d facing hahaha

Reply To Post