Saxophone Forum

by ashkansax
(5 posts)
14 years ago

Mouthpiece Reed Combination

Currently, I am playing on a Meyer 5m with a Vandoren Traditional Size 3 on a Reference 54 alto. I'm looking to have a much darker sound, so I'm trying out the Vandoren A28 from wwbw.com. In addition, I ordered Vandoren V12 size 3 1/2s, because I feel like the Vandoren Traditional size 3s are too soft now. Would a Vadoren A28 with a Vandoren V12 reed be appropriate, in other words would I be able to play this combination with the same ease I was able to play with my Meyer?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by scarter6
    (9 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Reed Combination

Are you looking for classical, or Jazz.. If you're looking for jazz, and you, in return have a jazz mouthpiece, you need a softer reed. If that's the case, try a 2.5 LaVoz, or RicoJazz. Using a harder reed on a jazz mp will give more resistance and cause you to blow harder, lifting your sound away from the warm tone you're wanting. ...Meyer is known for their jazz mouthpieces, if they make classical ones, I'd be shocked. Vandoren Reeds were, at one point, the best reeds as far as quality goes. Now with individual packages, you're lucky to get two or three good reeds out of a whole box, and they quickly go soft. For a dark, rich timbre, try a Selmer C* (star) 80. It's what all of the performs I know use , including myself. They sell a C* 90, but that has a brighter sound. The facing on it should sit comfortably. As far as a reed goes, it really depends on the person. I advise you to stay away from LaVoz, unless you want a quick fix for a jazz reed. I've recently started playing on Rico Reserves at a 3.5 They keep their hardness, and in a box of five, they were ALL good! Another thing that really plays a big part is how you're breaking your reeds in. Rubbing them on paper or sandpaper fresh out of the box isn't a good idea. You're immediately softening the reed without testing it. Don't soak the reed in water, it will become overly absorbed and start to warp.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

13 years ago

considering this is in the classical section: pretty much everybody i know uses a selmer S80. I cant stand the thing though, im not a big fan of square chambers. Try a Selmer Soloist. personally i think theyve got more depth to the tone. reed-wise, Vandorens arent nessicarily the best ever, but its tough to find something better. Alexander makes better reeds and has higher quality cane, but last time i checked, the classical reeds (which are what i would use for classical) are unusable because they are rediculiously warped. so im stuck using the classical Vandoren reeds. just remember to keep your reeds flat. when they warp, flatten them. Another thing is your ligature- dont use a rovner. they dont apply pressure to the reed. they apply it to the sides of the mouthpiece. get something that has something that is actually designed to come in contact with the reed. BG makes some pretty good ligatures

Reply To Post

2. by ofunck
    (2 posts)

13 years ago

Considering you are posting in the "legit" saxophone forum I'm guessing you are going to be using this setup for classical playing. With that in mind a Vandoren mp is excellent. I myself currently play on an A27 w/ Vandoren blue box 3's and a BG traditional lig. Its a great setup. The A28 is a bit wilder of a mp to tame, but the overall color differential is much higher, particular in extended ranges. In regards to Selmer mps they are quite good. I have played on S80s s90s, Larry Teal mps and all perform in a similar way. I would not say they are in any way a "dark" mouthpiece. This could be combated with either a leather/string lig or a tone damper dropped into your bell. Selmer has recently come out with a mp that mimics their old "airflow" mps. These are excellent classical mps and these remakes are of great quality. So overall my advice.. stick with the A28. Its a great mp for classical playing!!

Reply To Post

1. by Jamrightthen
      (4 posts)

10 years ago

I might try a Selmer s90 180 facing.  Recently selmer has improved on these mouthpieces and I was excited about how good they are.  Very clear tone, dark even sound from bottom to top with easy response.  I am currently trying several out now and using them on a few gigs. Try out as many options of mouthpieces that you can and find the one that fits you best.  

Have fun,

Cory Barnfield
      www.corybarnfield.com

Reply To Post

3. by Thompkins
    (1 post)

4 years ago

My greatest frustration on the sax was always ( and to a certain degree still lingers) is Reed vs. Mouthpiece. I am a self-taught saxophonist. When I started with the sax I had no one to advice me, internet didn’t exist,cellphones either

Reply To Post