Saxophone Forum

by exoboist
(3 posts)
14 years ago

New to Sax (from the perspective of an ex-oboist)!

Hello. I am new to the sax and so new that I don't have a sax yet. I majored in music (on oboe) in college but quickly became frusterated with attempting to be a professional musician. So i decided to pursue other career options and now that I have a decent career in place I want to get back to music. My love for jazz has grown and I am tired of the oboe (and reeds). I am looking for any advice on instruments, teachers, and anything else. I am looking for a teacher in the Lansing or Grand Rapids (MI) area and I am looking for a good instrument. Please suggest any instruments that I might enjoy...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: New to Sax (from the perspective of an ex-oboist)!

welcome to the site and the sax in general! yeah, reeds do suck, but at least you can buy sax reeds pre-made. What is your price range for a sax?

Reply To Post

1. by exoboist
      (3 posts)

14 years ago

i am thrilled about not having to spend most of my life carving reeds.... As far as a price range, I haven't totally decided. I would like at least an intermediate horn and something that will make me happy for a few years while I figure out what I am doing. So I guess that I am willing to spend under 2k. I realize that I can't realistically get something good for under 1K.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

Try e-bay and look for a Yamaha 62. You can get one used for less than the 2 grand you mentioned. (I am talking the alto, tenors are more money!!) It's Yamaha's starting professional line, although many pros play them because they are great horns..............Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by exoboist
          (3 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks, kelsey. I will definitely check it out!

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Cant really argue much with a 62, though when I compared one to my 475, I thought the 475 sounded much better. Ive heard that some 475s are better than others though. It might have been because Id played the 475 for about 6 years compared to a couple minutes with the 62, but the only yamaha i tried that outclassed my 475 was an 875, and I would have had to get a different neck. Be careful on ebay- more pictures the better.

Reply To Post