Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

Antigua Winds??????

heard of em?? are they a good company?? good products?? theres a really good freshman player this year whos tryna take my spot in jazz who has a tenor, black nickel antigua wind sax..ive never heard of em, i was wonderin if they were a good company and the kid really is good and bought this sax cuz he was good, or if its just like all nice lookn but doesnt play well

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Antigua Winds??????

They make good sopranos, I haven't heard of opinions on the altos or tenors. I think your yani 901 would beat or tie is antigua. It's not the horn that makes you good, it's the mouthpiece, reed, lig, and most of all practice. How could he take your spot if he plays tenor and you play alto? Well, he might be better than you, (I'm not saying he is) but it's not the horn that says it..... I've seen last chair altos with Custom EX's.

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

hes set up with a stock lig and a vandoren mouthpiece...i have a rovner dark and a s80...so i donno..but the band teacher would put him on alto, cuz if u can play one u can pretty much play all with a lil warming up to it...i donno, im workin a lot on improv cuz the kid is absolutely amazing at it so i need to catch up quick to show him why im an upper classmen

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

I tried out a Black Antigua alto once, it wasn't too bad buy was stuffy and didn't resonate or project too well. It's keywork was okay, but I didn't like it as much as the cheaper silver plated Jupiters, which responded better and had a clearer tone. Both were simply not up to par, in my opinion, with the Yani 902 they were tried against which had a warm, resonant sound, excellent keywork, and excellent response.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, your school must be good at doubling and stuff. Vandoren Mouthpieces are better than S-80's, but on the other hand your horn blows away his. Maybe too get better you should learn from him, that's what I kinda did w/ this kid. We even take the same lessons teacher. we're kinda identical in playing. But since your an upperclassmen, you really need to show him who's boss. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

20 years ago

I have an Antigua soprano sax, and it's awesome! I'm not sure bout the other saxes though. Basically, antigua claims to be a yanigasawa clone. they did a pretty good job too.

Reply To Post