Saxophone Forum

by saxman1593
(5 posts)
14 years ago

how does the material of the saxophone affect the sound?

Ive heard that it affects it slightly but i was wondering how

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: how does the material of the saxophone affect the sound?

frankly, if it does its not enough to worry about, or even care about. Case and point: Grafton plastic sax.

Reply To Post

1. by SuperSax875
      (55 posts)

14 years ago

It does slightly change the sound and response, but don't expect dramatic results from the plating or material on its own. Most of it comes from how the sax is made. Its generally accepted that: Bare Brass feels more resonant and "alive." Lacquer of any color is a little less resonant because the lacquer dampens some of the overtones. Silver plating is a little brighter but sounds a little sweeter. Nickel and Black Nickel is more punchy and brighter. Gold plating is deeper and warmer. and Bronze is warmer. But the bottom line is the sax not the finish. No two saxes are identical so a silver plated Mark VI might be significantly darker than a Lacquered Mark VI.

Reply To Post

1. by saxman1593
        (5 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks Supersax i was considering getting and nickel sax because i had heard, like you said that it is a little brighter but i am fairly new to playing and i wasnt sure of the different sounds

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have two 60's something Mark Vis. Both have regular lacquer. I get a bright sound with them both!! I think the mouthpiece has more to do with brightness, and then the pads and tone boosters also make a big difference.....kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxman1593
          (5 posts)

14 years ago

thanks kelsey

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

just get what you like the best, dont worry about what its made out of or what the manufacturer claims X does for the horn. www.shwoodwind.co.uk/misc/myths_and_materials.htm

Reply To Post

4. by SuperSax875
          (55 posts)

14 years ago

The mouthpiece has the biggest effect on your sound, next to your embouchure. Especially if your new to sax, don't worry about what your horn is made of.

Reply To Post

5. by Mobile Band
          (27 posts)

13 years ago

I had the same alto saxmodel by seqoia, laqued and unlaqued. The response was definite different, the unlaquered was somewhat but clearly more resistant, and the saxproducer tells this also very clearly. No doubt about that. swing jazz band berlin

Reply To Post