Saxophone Forum

by Tigger
(5 posts)
20 years ago

*=second tenor purchase

I am looking into a second tenor for a budding young artist (my son). The main reason is to keep his more expensive on at home and the cheaper at school. I would like to know if any one knows anything about the Woodwind brand Tenor?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: *=second tenor purchase

its a total piece of junk - about the same as the ones they sell at costcos. The TS700 and 600 are the to top student model horns on the market - I would rather have the 700, but the cases that come with them are junk and would last at most, 2 years I think. The 600 is only slightly more, but it has a MUCH better case and some adjustment screws that the 700 doesnt have, that to you, probably wouldnt be and issue. Now after closely inspecting the 500, its a joke. it comes with those yamaha adjustment screws and has plastic thumbrests, but the case is nicer yet.

Reply To Post

1. by Tigger
      (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you for your response. I am clueless when it comes to this. I would like to know what brand the TS700 and 600 are. He is used to playing a vintage Martin. I would appreciate your feed back. Thank You

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

OH! hes already playing? I thought you were playing the first tenor, then your son was going to start the sax. The TS700 and 600 and 500 are by selmer usa. BUT, that martin is potentially A REALLY GOOD HORN!!! What model is it? If it says on the Bell, "The martin Tenor." I wouldnt switch to another sax, i mean, unless he wants something more modern, more comfortable, there wouldnt be much point. Me, im a buescher and conn person for vintage stuff, but the martin is a very respectable horn. Have it adjusted, sometimes that can make a world of difference. If you still want a new horn, I can make recomendations, but all I can say is that I would be proud if I was palying a The martin Tenor, or a handcraft. (Which will probably say The martin on the bell too.)

Reply To Post

1. by Tigger
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank You!!!!!! The Bell of his saxaphone says THE MARTIN TENOR under it says elkhart ind. usa the model number is 153714, we have had it overhauled by a sax tech. I was looking for a second sax for him to keep at school to keep from having to take his Martin back and forth on the school bus. He loves his Martin and is doing quite well with it. If we find anothere sax we need to make sure that he can transision from the one at school to the Martin at home without to much trouble, as he will still use his Martin for compitions and concerts.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Ok, that is what kown as The Martin - an older one too somewhere around 45 or 46 I should think. The other one that also has "The Martin" on it was made in a different serial range. I understand now - it is just a total pain to bring a sax back and forth to school and home every day, not to mention, other kids in the band might not be so careful and might bump his sax. The time limits too can cause stress when you go past swabbing it out. (Or even worse, you dont do everything to get to class on time.) So far, I know of only one sax where you can change to anything else without much thinking - the series III. But this is a vERY high spectrum professional model. pretty much any modern sax should be easy enough to switch to - its the odd feeling vintage ones where you have to make a bunch of weird finger positions for that mess you up. But, any new modern sax will play subtantially different than his martin, it will be mcuh less broad and beefey, but nothing that you couldnt get over in a few seconds. BUT, I know a guy with a martin tenor for 600 bucks - I havent seen any pictures of it, but from what I am told, it is pretty ugly, but plays fine. Would you be interested in that? I mean, it would be cheaper than a student model and there would be little transition, it's an earlier model (the first model martin made actually - about a 1920.) You would have to talk to him for the details. I was planning on buying it myself, but I thought I would save myself from myself and refer you to it.

Reply To Post

3. by Tigger
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

That's great give us the details. Thank You

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I emailed him and gave him your email address and told him you were interested. If he doesnt get to you in a couple days, his name is scott and his email is: [email protected]

Reply To Post

5. by Tigger
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank You for everything:)

Reply To Post