Saxophone Forum

by adetenor
(68 posts)
14 years ago

mk.6. for Conn.

Blackfrancis,did you make the swap man?I really hope so, and that you are glad that you did. I did exactly this a long time ago. Mk.6 for 10m. Best thing i ever did. 10.m. may look like a piece of agricultural machinery, but has THE definitive tenor sound. Take it easy man, adetenor. Liverpool. U.K.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: mk.6. for Conn.

I guess I should check out a 10m Conn?? Lots of guys really like them. However, trading a Mark Vl for a Conn, the selmer cost about twice as much. (And you know, there must is a reason for this) hope the guy tradeing the Conn gave you boot??....~~
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by adetenor
      (68 posts)

14 years ago

Hi Kelsey, it was twenty years ago man. Back then the price of vintage horns did not. ....that is, the big three "Selmer, King, and Conn", all cost roughly the same. In the last 10 years, the "Selmer" thing has become foolish. All too often, these horns end up in the hands of those that can raise the cash. Not with those who could use them. A status thing. As for the "Conn, take a look at the 10m. on the museum page...........now do you get it?.... Later man....adetenor.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

I was just being polite. I wouldn't play a 10m even if I was a bad rhythm and blues player!! I have played Mark Vls all my life and I'm not seaching for some clunker! If I were to replace one of my Mark Vls it would be with a Yamaha 82z or maybe a 62. But then what do I know?? I've only played professionally for 40 odd years..........kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

What did i say? "I am a 40 year selmer pro." blah blah. Guess what. ..Me too. Why you opted for such an arrogant attitude is beyond me. I know your type all too well Kelsey. Polite? See you later adetenor.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

Hi, Ade. Yes and no is the accurate answer. I got the 6M ('33 tranny) and I sold the Mk. VI but the two deals were not connected. For my kind of playing the Conn is much better. A very different beast from the Selmer but every bit as good. And yes, Kelsey, I had a pile of dough left over! Another related story... I started tenor on a 10M, sold it and got a (beautiful) SBA. Played it a few years and decided that it just wasn't my cup of tea. Ended up trading it straight across for a Super 20 with about half the lacquer worn off. Now some might say as I was less than wise and I'm sure the guy I traded with thought he got the better end of it, but that old King is killer- been playing it for 30 yrs. now. And to sweeten the deal I got a 10M recently for the more "dangerous" gigs- you know, chicken wire and the like. So it all boils down to one's personal preferences.

Reply To Post

3. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Blackfrancis, good to hear all is good man. A super 20, half laquer....now that is my kind of horn. All my life, I have wanted one....its just. never happened. Had a beautiful "Zephyr" bari for a long time. About to buy a tenor m.p......just had two years of dental nightmares, seriously considered quitting more than once. Couldnt do it man. As for the b.a. thing....foget it. Its not amoney thing....you have the " King"....health and happiness blackfrancis....later....ade.

Reply To Post

4. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry Francis, I meant to ask your choice of m.p.(s) and reed. All members.....if you have a spare five....please make a suggestion.Free blowin' tenor m.p....must rip. Have a good day all. Ade.

Reply To Post

5. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

I use Link STMs on tenor- both modern, one with a raised floor and one with a high baffle. For softer stuff, a Runyon SR or a Tone Edge. All tips are around 105 and for reeds either RJS 2H or V16 21/2. For the 6M, Tone Edge, Runyon SR or Morgan Jazz, all tips around 90, haven't really settled on reeds. My suggestion for the all time rippin' tenor piece is a Lamberson 8DD. You'll be in hog heaven (until somebody calls Girl From Ipanema...).

Reply To Post

6. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks man. Just composed half hour message....and lost it. So, "Lamberson" huh. Wont mention dental again other than to say I could really use a prolonged period of comfortable free blowing. The sensible option...probably a Florida Link. Hmmm.....beautiful doubtless but not my thing. From the store,(S.Qu.), the 40's gold Berg, the Ventura Berg, and oddly the Marsalis Guardala....a hunch...will post, dont want to lose...

Reply To Post

7. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Good...so the shot but boring bit. ...Sorry. I have to put a date and value on this Rousseau tenor m.p. It may have to go in as part trade, providing, of course it is wanted. Back in the day i played an old levelair 9 on tenor....it screamed. Also hugely bright was the Rousseau9 i used. They appear to me to look albeit from memory,(no longer have R.9) the same,though this R.6 plays warm and round. I'm tired....i dont know. Maybe this phone is capable of sending a pic....tommorrow."Lamberson"......thanks Francis.

Reply To Post

8. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Good...so the shot but boring bit. ...Sorry. I have to put a date and value on this Rousseau tenor m.p. It may have to go in as part trade, providing, of course it is wanted. Back in the day i played an old levelair 9 on tenor....it screamed. Also hugely bright was the Rousseau9 i used. They appear to me to look albeit from memory,(no longer have R.9) the same,though this R.6 plays warm and round. I'm tired....i dont know. Maybe this phone is capable of sending a pic....tommorrow."Lamberson"......thanks Francis.

Reply To Post

9. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Morning all. Stupid phone lost my text again. Francis....cool man.....why not? Saxquest....will phone later and hopefully order. adetenor.

Reply To Post

10. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

Make sure it's a DD model. A J or L will be nice, but won't pack nearly the punch.

Reply To Post

11. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Will do man. Going to phone store in a couple of hours. Will be back later.....thanks again....

Reply To Post

12. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry man, this phone is driving me crazy. Checked out "Lamb." site.....all cool. Phoned Mark and ordered. Have to confirm by e-mail....phone not responding. If you by chance see this Mark....i will sort it all out tommorrow.Francis....thankyou. Lets keep in touch...ade.

Reply To Post