Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
20 years ago

Key clamps?

I play bari, and half to take the bus to school, but I know that the bus is very bumpy, and am afraid that my bari will fall out of adjustment in no time flat. Would using a set of key clamps help prevent this? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by michmura
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Key clamps?

I bought and used key clamps on my alto for awhile, until I spoke to my repair man about them. However, after hearing, "Keyclamps? Repairmen love them - they provide plenty of work.", I stopped using mine. When I quizzed my repairman about clamps, he spoke about damage to pad seats from excessive clamp pressure. Perhaps, as Saxman has said, a lighter pressure would be ok. I might try using them again with a lighter pressure setting. On another note, I too love the Protec propak case for my alto.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Your horn will fall out of adjustment under the stresses of playing far more than a bumpy bus ride, in my opinion. What's most important is make sure your horn fits tightly in the case. If you can feel your horn thunk around in the case when you shake it, then you need to either get a better fitting case or add some bubble wrap and such to help secure it. Just be sure that anything you do doesn't stress the rods or posts laterally. There are varied opinions on the use of key clamps. Their benefits, I feel, can be justified to some extent. The trick is to use clamps that work lightly. Hard pressing clamps would likely alter the adjustment of the horn. It would settle in after some amount of time, though. Many horns have survived without the use of key clamps. Few horns have survived without a proper fitting hard-shell case. Does your bari have double arms on the bell keys?

Reply To Post

3. by mega band geek
    (60 posts)

20 years ago

My bari is a 1955 Mark VI (believe it or not), which is the reason I was concerned about the bus ride. I have a protec case.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by mega band geek
    (60 posts)

20 years ago

Here is a link to a page with the case I have. Its the protech pro pack contoured bari case. www.music123.com/Baritone-Sax-Cases-d1957.music

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

I adore ProTec countoured cases. I've bought several for tenor and they have worked awesome with old Selmers and old Conns. I don't like their regular rectangular cases, though. I got one of those for tenor, and the design of the case put stress on the upper rods. Somehow, they worked that out with the countoured case. I've not used one for bari, but would like to know how tightly your fits in there.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

... and the ProTec lar case is rather "squishy" compared to the countoured, which I believe has some wood reinforcement to it. ProTecs aren't as solid as Walt Johnson cases, but I've heard that WJ's for bari can cave in and pop back out if stepped on or mishandled at an airport - particularly at the upper body. The case looks normal after being caved in and popping back out, but the horn doesn't... Guess it all depends on who's handling the horn. You or the Samsonite gorilla. (Who here knows what I'm talking about?)

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

20 years ago

I remember the Samsonite Gorilla, you must be at least as old as I am...lol

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

lar=rectangular in "insert typefont"...

Reply To Post

3. by mega band geek
          (60 posts)

20 years ago

My bari fits nice and snug in the case, and I will be the one handling it. I don't anyone that I don't know handle my bari.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

... ur bari is soon mine

Reply To Post

5. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

haha i'm 17 and i've seen the samsonite gorilla. TVLand man Joel