Saxophone Forum

by tempomaster
(36 posts)
14 years ago

Growl Sound

Have, by sheer luck, come across a metal mouthpiece (no specs) that yields a Gato Barbieri like sound. Would really appreciate any tips on how one would enhance the growling (raspy?) sound that you hear in some jazz/rock players. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by afogartie
    (6 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Growl Sound

Easiest way is "sing" with the horn. Try it...actually, quite simple.

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
    (68 posts)

14 years ago

Make a low growl from your voicebox. Impersonate an angry lion or the rumble of a harley. Without horn. Now with. Do not tighten or alter emb. at all. Yesterday (hard reeds ), i was going to mention breathing from the diaphram, and the importance of an open throat...important in a growl. With all respect, maybe spend a while getting to know the m.p.'s sound and character first. Anyhow....growling. Real easy....good trick......dont overuse it....later.

Reply To Post

3. by adetenor
    (68 posts)

14 years ago

Make a low growl from your voicebox. Impersonate an angry lion or the rumble of a harley. Without horn. Now with. Do not tighten or alter emb. at all. Yesterday (hard reeds ), i was going to mention breathing from the diaphram, and the importance of an open throat...important in a growl. With all respect, maybe spend a while getting to know the m.p.'s sound and character first. Anyhow....growling. Real easy....good trick......dont overuse it....later.

Reply To Post

1. by tempomaster
      (36 posts)

14 years ago

Yes, good point with regards to knowing the m.p. Thanks a million for taking the time to respond. Will work on all points.

Reply To Post

1. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

You are welcome. Do not concern too much about the open throat. It is a somewhat advanced thing. Do though concentrate on breathing from dia....a constant and controlled passage of wind......essential. Do you have a teacher man? I ask, as it would not be cool to confuse my opinions with facts. None of it is a science however.....opinions are all we have

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
        (68 posts)

14 years ago

You are welcome. Do not concern too much about the open throat. It is a somewhat advanced thing. Do though concentrate on breathing from dia....a constant and controlled passage of wind......essential. Do you have a teacher man? I ask, as it would not be cool to confuse my opinions with facts. None of it is a science however.....opinions are all we have

Reply To Post

1. by tempomaster
          (36 posts)

14 years ago

Had an outstanding teacher many years ago. For classic alto in Woodwind Quartet. Am now trying to re-invent as jazz tenor player. Long story. F**k science - and facts - this is ART. I place a hgih value on your input and think it's cool you take the time to help.

Reply To Post

2. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

My pleasure.

Reply To Post

3. by adetenor
          (68 posts)

14 years ago

My pleasure.