Saxophone Forum

by saxy lady
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Any info on this bari would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bari player, and on my first day of high school the very first thing I did was find out how many baris that my school had. It has 3, a conn, matin, and selmer. The selmer bari is oviously very old, no lacqre, bad pads/springs, etc... and due to a massive amount of denting on just about all parts of the instrment, It suffered some major trama in the past. I later found out that a few years back it was droped and slid/bounced/rolled down the stands at a football game. The bari is a Selmer Paris horn with a low-A, and the SN is 63xxx. I know that its a decent horn because even with all the damage it is still semi-playable (about half of the range can be played) and it has a wonderful tone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Any info on this bari would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of help are you looking for? It's potentially a great playing instrument. It is definitely collectable. Even in it's trashed state, it would sell for at LEAST $2000. If I got my hands on it, I'd fix it up and sell it for $4500 without too much difficulty. Does it play every note top to bottom?

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

20 years ago

ask your school to sell it i want it

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

if you don't need a low-A, I'd be most enthused about the Martin.

Reply To Post

1. by saxy lady
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

Well, so far nobody has my question about what kind of sax this is, but judging by the reactions I'd say its a mark 6. As for the playability, it plays from the high f to the middle c, with several notes that are playable being horibly out of tune (which I'm assuming is from the damage). Anyways, the director said he would sell it to me for $3000. Is this a good deal? (I would have to get a complete overhaul and a new case also).

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

how are you buying it from the school? its illegal to sell stuff to people that are school instruments, i mean, unless the district is getting rid of it. But anyways, if that martin is the magna, there isnt a more savage bari out there. The magna also has a lot of nice features that others dont, my favorite is the low A key at both thumbs. I would say a complete restoration would be more correct for that bari. Some techs dont want to waste their time with stuff like that, depending on how severe the damage is. But I am pretty sure that Sarge at world wide sax would take it, but it would be VERY expensive. Be careful about emilio lyons - seems liek everyone thinks hes great, but have I have seen a horn he "worked" on that was terrible - not a single key was fit, and adjustments would only hold aobut a month. The guy who owned the horn sent it back to him and he had dave koz play it and write a note to say, "yeah great horn, good job emilio." But dont argue with me about this, cause I dont feel like arguing - if you go to him, it is my opinion that you might or might not get screwed, so go ahead and do it if you feel that way. I would probably go for the martin, but would have to know more.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

It's hard to say without a series of digital pictures whether it's worth $3000 or not. It might, but it might not. That's as good an answer you'll get from me or probably anyone else without sending us some pictures to go by.

Reply To Post

2. by cfsatb
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

The Conn & the Martin are reputable saxes. I am a huge fan of Selmer. Have the school get it fixed w/ a reputable sax repairman and enjoy. If the school were willing to part with it, then let me know.

Reply To Post

3. by cfsatb
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

The Conn & the Martin are reputable saxes. I am a huge fan of Selmer. Have the school get it fixed w/ a reputable sax repairman and enjoy. If the school were willing to part with it, then let me know.

Reply To Post