Saxophone Forum

by grandpacrotchrocket
(10 posts)
14 years ago

Installing high F# key

Well this is dear old Dad again. You guys have been great and very helpful in the past with my daughters set up. New question! I came across a good deal on a used Yamaha 23 alto. So I picked it up for my daughter thinking that it might be better than the old King 660 that she has been playing for the last five almost six years. If nothing else I was thinking back up horn for when her King is in the shop. As most of you know marching band is not a nice thing for the horns. But she does not like the Yamaha. Mostly because it does not have the F# key. (and the King sound much better) Can a F# key be added to this horn? If so how costly? Or should I just sell it and look for another horn for a back up or for concert season. thanks, Dear Old Dad.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Installing high F# key

It is possible to add a high F# key but if she doesn't like the way the horn sounds, I wouldn't go through with the "operation." I think it would cost a couple hundred dollars to get it well done. I'd recommend saving the money for a good horn with an F# key.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

14 years ago

there is an alternate fingering that works just about as well as the high f# key..and how often do ya use that note anyway? The "23 is a fine student horn, and would not be improved by chopping another tone hole and adding the mechanics needed to install the key. A good tech could do it, but really..is it that big of a deal..you can get a nice cheap chinese horn with a high f# key on it for less than it would cost to traumitize your '23..have her learn altissimo..

Reply To Post

2. by grandpacrotchrocket
    (10 posts)

14 years ago

She knows how to play the F# without this key. She just likes having it. I think it's best if I just sell this horn and find another back up horn for her. I don't like the thin sound that comes out of the Yamaha 23 compaired to her old King. thanks for everyones help.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

14 years ago

gee..I never really noticed the '23 having a particularly thin sound..but you might look into a pre 2OOO YAS 62..nice horn..and a high f# key..the best of all worlds

Reply To Post

3. by grandpacrotchrocket
    (10 posts)

14 years ago

I took her to the Florida bandmasters convention this past year. All she did was play horns for six hours. At the end of the day she was leaning on wanting a Custom Z or a Cannonball. So we will see what the wallet will bear. Just don't want her using the horn for marching band . But on the other hand when she goes to college she will need the good horn no matter what she is doing with it.

Reply To Post