Saxophone Forum

by MartinS
(4 posts)
13 years ago

Buying a Used Bari

Hi, I have been playing tenor in an amateur jazz orchestra. I have a Selmer Series II tenor. Recently I switched to bari, and I love it. I have been using a borrowed horn, but I am seriously interested in buying a used intermediate horn between $2K-$3K. A friend of mine who is a pro jazz player encouraged me not to look at anything but a Conn or Yamaha. His concerns are playing in tune, having non-articulated g#, and other issues. I see Beuschers, King Zephyrs, Martins, Weltklangs, Keilworth, etc advertised on Craigslist, Ebay (I am wary of buying a horn on Ebay), and local shops. Can anybody recommend a brand of bari (especially a low A bari) that you have had a good experience with that is not Selmer, Conn, or Yamaha? Thanks in advance, Martin

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Buying a Used Bari

The old Martins are underated and very good saxophones. They aren't popular like some of the Conns and Selmer Mark Vls and are still a good buy. Conns and the Mark Vl Selmers are very good horns but overpriced.....Mr. Everyman has run the prices up!! Get a Martin Bari quickly before the crowd decides they are good..........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by MartinS
      (4 posts)

13 years ago

Thank you, Kelsey I will look at them. Martin

Reply To Post

2. by kwilburn
    (1 post)

13 years ago

Used Selmer Mark VI

Martin: I have a Selmer Mark VI (#13933S)that I am going to put on the market in the next few weeks. It is all original and plays really well. It doe not have a Low A. The original owner kept a sax stan attached to the bell, so it has blimist there. Other than that, it's in great shape. Let me know if your are interested and I'll email some photos. Ken [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by MartinS
      (4 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Used Selmer Mark VI

Sorry, I have been off line for a few weeks. Thanks for the offer, what part of the country do you live? I would want to play the horn first. Martin

Reply To Post

3. by afogartie
    (6 posts)

13 years ago

I play a King Super 20-- the Zephyr is a GREAT horn.

Reply To Post

4. by MartinS
    (4 posts)

13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been off line for a while. I have a chance to buy a 1970's H. Couf (by Julius Keilworth) for about $1000. Are these pro horns? I have not played it yet. I would like to know if anyone has any comments before I respond to the person. Thanks, Martin

Reply To Post