Saxophone Forum

by dgherner
(1 post)
13 years ago

new saxophone

Good evening! I am a new student to the alto sax. I decided to take up the sax earlier this year, having never played an instrument. I take lessons each week and practice with a local string band. I have been using a rental horn, a Selmer AS600. My husband just purchased a Selmer La Voix II alto as a gift. I received it today and have found that there are squeaks and notes that seem higher than they should. My question is, is there a 'break-in' period for new horns? Will the sound quality improve as I continue to play, or is it a cause for concern with the instrument itself? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

13 years ago

Re: new saxophone

If youre having problems with the sax, take it to a technician. New saxophones typically arent set up very well, so it might help. If you can, find someone who specializes in saxophones, rather than the guy at the local music store who really specializes oboe, but read a book about saxes 3 years ago. As long as you keep practicing, the sound quality will improve, simply because youre playing better. Sound quality is produced by the player much more than the sax.

Reply To Post

2. by Gary51
    (17 posts)

13 years ago

Re: new saxophone

As Cuber said,get it to a tech to check it for leaks and make sure it is set up properly. Also you'll find as you play it more a lot of noises will go away.

Reply To Post