Saxophone Forum

by manumit
(3 posts)
13 years ago

Need help identifying this Sax

My apologies ahead of time if I could have found this info elsewhere. I'm new, I did look for a search prior to asking with no avail. Years ago I was given this alto, I practiced for perhaps a year, to never pick it up again. I wanted to sell it, get it to someone who would find use of it. The serial # stamped upon it is N189604. I have the Hard case, strap, A Claude Lakey ? 4*4 mouth piece as well as well as original mouth piece. I'm sure it needs to be repadded. The finish is fair/good. I've taken care of the movements to keep things smooth. No idea what to ask for it, or where to post it...any guildance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by manumit
    (3 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Need help identifying this Sax

Opps...sorry, forgot to include that it's an Alto from Conn.

Reply To Post

2. by Gary51
    (17 posts)

13 years ago

The serial number points to 1970. If it has stars on the bell, it is a 14M Directors model,known as a shooting stars. These horns were made in Mexico,(it should say on it), and not too sought after.

Reply To Post

1. by manumit
      (3 posts)

13 years ago

Thanks Gary for the reply. It does not have the stars as you say upon the bell. Instead more or less what appears to be a flower with the name in the midst of it. No other markings (such as in relation to it's makers location)...only the serial number stamp.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

13 years ago

The only other model alto that this could be for the year 1969/70 is the pro 6M, which would have the following engraving patter for this era of Artist series: www.saxpics.com/cpg143/albums/Conn/artist/6m/2_tone/h07869/i-3-B-L.jpg

Reply To Post