Saxophone Forum

by saxsister
(4 posts)
13 years ago

CONN Soprano (approx 1915)

I inherited a vintage saxophone from my brother. It is a CONN soprano sax serial number S 32358 L (Factory 34), which is from about 1915, I believe. I cannot tell if it is the original lacquer, but I can read the serial number. I have not tried to play it. I am a clarinet player, not sax, but I could give it a shot. It appears to be in good condition considering its age. It is in the original case. However, it has a metal Selmer mouthpiece, not a CONN mouthpiece. Not sure if that would affect the value or not. Can anyone tell me what this might be worth? I have been trying to find someone to give me a good appraisal in Southeastern Michigan, so if any of you know someone local to me, that would be great. By the way, I don't think my brother had played it for quite some time (probably at least 20 years) before he passed away. Thanks in advance. Saxsister

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dgallego
    (27 posts)

13 years ago

Re: CONN Soprano (approx 1915)

I am not sure what it is worth but not having a Conn mouthpiece is going to make any if little effect on value. Mouth pieces are somewhat disposable anyway. As a general rule the mouthpieces that come with horns are rarely really useful anyway. I am not a fan of selmer metal mouthpieces but may think they are great. It will give a very bright sound. It is a low pitch so that is great. If it is in alinement and with good pads you should be able to play it with no problem as a clarinet player. If it is not then a repad etc will be needed. Try a medium reed to start but try to buy a variety. Mouthpieces are very personal and horn related. A mouthpiece that I like on my French Dolnet soprano is Rico Metallite mouthpieces. Try a few different ones. That mouthpiece is a bright tone like a good metal but is in the under $30.00 range. But keep trying different combinations of stuff until you find one you like. If you have a band director or other person you know who is a sax player talk to him. Enjoy. Welcome to the world of vintage horns.

Reply To Post