Saxophone Forum

by nat6793
(1 post)
13 years ago

C.G. Conn alto sax that really needs some help in identifying it's info!

Hi I've a C.G. alto saxophone with me, it was given by my grandpa who is 81 years old. He has when he was still a child, but unsure of how old he was. This is the best description I can give of the saxophone: -silver colour (not sure what type of metal this is) -gold colour bell (not sure what type of metal this is) -had some engravings on it's bell: what seems to me of a lady (not sure if this is what they call the naked lady) -the bell says C.G. CONN LTD, ELKHART IND., U.S.A. -the back of the saxophone shows: PATD.DEC.3.1914 1119954 PAT. APP'D FOR A M267226A L Yep, would like to know what kind of model is this (eg. student, professional, limited ed. etc), when it was made, and how much it was worth then, and how much it's worth now. Thanks guys! Really need your help!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

13 years ago

Re: C.G. Conn alto sax that really needs some help in identifying it's info!

The serial number would put it at 1935, A is for alto and L is for low pitch (a good thing!). A pro model horn and a very good one at that. I'm not sure if it's a bona fide 6M or a "transitional" model between the 6M and its predecessor. As to how much it's worth, that depends on condition- you might check around on e-bay or some vintage dealers to get an idea. I have one of these built in 1933 and find it to be a joy to play.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

13 years ago

The serial number would indicate this is a Conn 10M. This is a great vintage for Conn saxophones. Your horn is a nice desired instrument. This sax sold for about $250 when new. Its worth anywhere 5-15 times that now. An exact value all depends on condition. Cheers, Mark Overton saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

13 years ago

Not a "10M" tenor Mark. With an "A" above the serial number, it is of course a 6M alto. ;)

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

13 years ago

Yeah, that's right, its a 6M alto. Sorry about that. I had just come back from a job where I was playing tenor all night. I guess I had tenor on the brain. Cheers, Mark Overton saxquest.com

Reply To Post