Saxophone Forum

by rbeaudry
(7 posts)
13 years ago

upper register

I have toyed with saxophones since High School....I'm 45....I recently acquired a soprano sax.....I cannot get beyond "D" in the extreme upper register...The horn goes flat.......Is it the mouthpiece, reed choice or something else......? Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rbeaudry
    (7 posts)

13 years ago

Re: upper register

Reply To Post

1. by Hergy
      (3 posts)

13 years ago

Play it more.

Reply To Post

1. by rbeaudry
        (7 posts)

13 years ago

Great advice....thanks....:(

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

13 years ago

It could be the mouthpiece reed combination. If you have a very closed mouthpiece with a soft reed it will have a tendency to close off as you bite. As you go into the upper register on soprano, the tendency is to bite. However, you should try to avoid this and make sure you maintain an even embouchure throughout the entire range. That being said, you may also want to try going up in strength a bit in reeds to see if that makes a difference. Also, try a few other mouthpieces and see if you have the same issues. Its also true that some horns close off in the palm keys more so than others. I've played several Selmer series II's that have this problem. Its also possible that its a key venting issue and you may want to have a competent tech take a quick look at your horn. Cheers, Mark Overton saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by rbeaudry
        (7 posts)

13 years ago

Thanks Mark......I tried several reed "strengths" and have gotten the best response from a 2.5 - 3.....I went to a local music store and tried several different mouthpieces (at your recommendation). I never thought that they would just let anyone blow into their new equipment....turns out I was wrong.....I found a Dukoff (metal) mouthpiece that is AWESOME.....Also, you were right.....as I ascended into the stratosphere I WAS BITING harder....Loosened up the embouchure (with the new mouthpiece) and the tones flow right out......Thanks so much for the help......If you ever need help shooting (handgun) I have been known to correct some really bad problem shooters......LOL....I consider myself a saxaphone NOVICE....and after 30 years of on and off again playing, a beginner, at best....Thanks again for the advice....

Reply To Post