Saxophone Forum

by dgnielson
(2 posts)
13 years ago

Yanagisawa Tenor Sax--Need Info

I have a Yanagisawa Tenor Sax I'm wanting to sell and I'm looking for information on it so I can determine what it might be worth. I purchased it new in 1980. The only markings on it are "Japan" and the serial number "77800182" on the lower back, engravings on the bell with "MADE BY YANAGISAWA" and the number "182" under various keys. I played it for about a year, then only a few times since. It is in near new condition, except a blemish on the neck that was there when I bought it, and a few other minor rough spots. No scratches or dents. For being over 30 years old, it is in great condition. If anyone could give me ANY info, or point me somewhere that can--I'd appreciate it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by abbi
    (3 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa Tenor Sax--Need Info

To find out what a sax will sell for you can start by looking on ebay and craigslist for similar instruments. That's to get started. Ultimately, the instrument is "worth" what someone will pay for it. So you won't know until you put it up for sale. Another thing to be aware of is that two instruments can have similar descriptions (similar year, similar amount of surface wear) but the condition can be very different. This is more than just dings and scratches. It has to do with the condition of the pads, the adjustments of the keys, worn rods etc. A good player can tell quite a bit about an instrument by playing. But really only an instrument repair technician can tell you what it would cost to bring the instrument up to its finest playability. Since a complete overhaul can cost one or two thousand dollars, the condition of the instrument makes a big difference to how much it's worth.

Reply To Post

1. by abbi
      (3 posts)

13 years ago

1. There are many other places on line to look for sax prices, including this Saxquest site. 2. Someone asked about prices for a Yanigasawa Tenor here: www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=6&ThreadUID=21480

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

13 years ago

a complete overhaul for a thousand dollars..? I'm gonna have to start raising my prices..

Reply To Post