Saxophone Forum

by Ivan M
(4 posts)
12 years ago

Getting back into it, advice needed.

Used to play tenor sax back in my junior highschool and also highschool. Well got married had a child, got divorce child is grown have not played sax in about 20 years. Although I have been playing bass guitar for about a year now I want to get back into the sax. Would it be easier for me to get a soprano or an alto. I really don't want to get a tenor as it is too big and probably louder than the 2 I mentioned. I Love the yanagisawa curved soprano. I don't really plan on playing with a band just at home along to tracks And such. I stiill remember every key on sax. So would an alto suit me better or will I get enough pleasure with the soprano? If I decide to get into a sax again I am really leaning towards a YANI. love that sound. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Gary51
    (17 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Getting back into it, advice needed.

If you can afford Yanis', get one! I played alto in school,then after 25 years, I bought another alto and started playing again. I love alto as its fairly light compared to a tenor. I also just picked up a Kohlert straight soprano,and love playing it. Right now I'm getting more pleasure from the soprano. Either way you go, have fun! Gary

Reply To Post

1. by Ivan M
      (4 posts)

12 years ago

Hey Gary thanks for the response. I don't feel so bad then having not played in so long and wanting to get another horn and play a little. 1 other question did you find it hard getting back to playing? I am actually a little embarrassed going to a store and trying some YANIS' since i have not played in so long. Do you play in a band or just at home? thanks again.

Reply To Post

1. by Gary51
        (17 posts)

12 years ago

You shouldn't worry about being embarrassed to try a horn out. Dealers see and hear all levels of playing ability, plus they can help you pick the right horn for you. I only play at home as relaxation in the evening. It is amazing how quickly things come back to you after being away from the sax for so long. Enjoy!

Reply To Post

2. by jeffjazz897
      (2 posts)

12 years ago

just joined the forum....saw your post and wondered how your "return" was going. I'm doing the same myself....played alto for 15 years from jr high til kids came along. Been a Jazz DJ on WUSF 89.7 FM Tampa for 12 years and feel the need to be on the "other" side of the music again. Good Luck

Reply To Post

3. by gloss1
      (27 posts)

12 years ago

If i was starting back i would get a vintage c melody saxophone with and experiment with different alto mouthpieces. Any vintage c melody will play great. If you get one and don't have tech  i can fix it up with new pads and so on at a great affordable price. So easy to play and you have have lots of fun. Good luck. Blessings

Reply To Post