Saxophone Forum

by saxophonist21
(1 post)
12 years ago

I need help looking for a better sax

I've been playing alto sax now for 5 years and it's time that I get a new sax, something more intermediate. I currently have a Selmer/Bundy II & it breaks EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I want something inexpensive (even used would be fine) & something that will really help me focus on my intonation & tone quality. I play in my high school's concert & jazz band. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Also, I currently have a Premier by Hite mouthpiece and I use a 3 & 1/2 thickness reed. I was wondering if I should move up to a 4 reed & how that will help my sound. Will it make it more jazzy or classical? Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

12 years ago

Re: I need help looking for a better sax

get a Yamaha yta 23..and try a softer reed...a harder reed is harder to play..and you'd better know exactly the sound you're looking for before busting your chops on a harder reed. Harder reeds are not better...they're just harder.

Reply To Post

1. by gloss1
      (27 posts)

12 years ago

I have always used a 1.5 reed. Allso if you find a good softer Fibracell reed you will love it. I love vintage saophones. No sound like them. Stay awy from the high dollar ones. You are just paying for the name. Older ones like Holton or Conn ares great and mamy many more are great also.. My email is [email protected]  Blessings. Jerry

Reply To Post

2. by tsmith800
    (10 posts)

12 years ago

Check out the Voodoo Master by Saxgourmet. I have a Voodoo Master tenor and I couldn't be happier. They have Voodoo Master in alto & tenor.
    The alto are $1800.00 and the tenor are $2000.00. for the price you can't beat them anywhere!!
    Good luck!

Reply To Post