Saxophone Forum

by bluezhound
(4 posts)
12 years ago

Elkhart Alto Identification - Elkhart Band Instrument Co or Martin Stencil

Hi everyone, I have an Alto sax that I am trying to identify. It is silver/nickel plated. Here are the specs: It is engraved with 'The Elkhart Band Instrument Co." with engraving of heart and detailed Elk's head. Serial on body 5 digit - 55k, 4 digit serial on neck and under right hand side key - 5k - numbers match. It has soldered and beveled tone holes. No high F key. It looks similar to a Martin Handcraft in terms of some keys, and Buescher for others. The beveled / soldered tone holes make me think it may be a Martin stencil, but I know Buescher did some as well. Thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bluezhound
    (4 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Elkhart Alto Identification - Elkhart Band Instrument Co or Martin Stencil

Here are some pics:

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Looks like a Martin Handcraft with the exception of the button style lh palm keys. The pinky keys, rh palm keys, and chromatic F# look like Martin keys. The lettering looks like Martin lettering. I'd go with it being a Martin stencil. If the serial # is in sequence with Martin, it would be from 1926. saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=1630 There were also some "Continental "Conn stencils that had some Buescher style keys. Saxpics has examples of Buescher beveled Tru-tones, but they look like earlier horns with a round G# key.

Reply To Post

1. by bluezhound
      (4 posts)

12 years ago

Thanks for the information. I'm also leaning towards this being a Martin Handcraft stencil, which would be great, Looking forward to playing it when it is done. Thanks!

Reply To Post

3. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Well, now I'm more confused than ever. According to this list, Elkhart stencils were made by Buescher and Conn, but not Martin. If it's not a Martin, my guess would be Buescher. Don't go too crazy trying to figure it out! www.saxgourmet.com/stencil_makers.html

Reply To Post

1. by bluezhound
      (4 posts)

12 years ago

Ok, I've seen some stencil lists that include The Elkhart made by Buescher, Conn, and Martin. It seems some lists includes these makers, some do not. Here are a few: www.cmelodysax.co.uk/saxophones/serial-numbers.htm" target="other">www.cmelodysax.co.uk/saxophones/serial-numbers.htm www.vintagesaxophones.com/10-STENCILS%20LIST.html" target="other">www.vintagesaxophones.com/10-STENCILS%20LIST.html After looking at some of the Martin Handcraft attributes, and the fact that this horn has the soldered and beveled tone holes, I think it is a Martin Handcraft stencil. If so, I don't have a Martin made horn so this is great. Thanks!

Reply To Post