Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

good jazz charts...

just wanna know what u guys think are some good jazz charts?? or what ur bands are workin on?? right now were workin on a song by big bad voodoo daddy, and a couple of hank levey charts, if u guys kno him.. green dolphin street, and time for a change are the songs of his..and were workin on somethin like bonecase full of blues?? i dont like it, its a bone feature..ah!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: good jazz charts...

good jazz charts? that's a really open ended question... left up to a lot of personal taste. frankly (and I don't mean to be rude here) but I can't stand jazz meant for high school bands. It just seems too cheesy, and in fact it is cheesy when I heard a Dominic Spera track on the Simpsons. Back to your question... right now I'm listening to NIN - head like a hole, and before that it was Modest Mouse, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. NO I'm not really into that music, but I like to keep things as broad and diverse as possable. Who knows where insperation will come from next, it could be some Weather Report, or Mozart, or even Phish. sorry I side tracked this thread. Back in high school my band played most of the "Chops Don't Fail Me Now" cd. We also did Fireshaker with a GREAT trumpet player. In fact we were blessed with good players. I held my own, we had a great Alto player, a few tood bones, my fresh and soph year we had 2 all state trumpet players, a all state drumer, and some great keyboard players. Music is a lot of fun when you're around good talent.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea i hear ya, right now were playin mid highschool literature...but later in the year we get into college literature and stuff, we go to festivals every year like the dixie classic and stuff, and tear up, last year in jazz we played i think 3, grade 4-5 tunes, and one grade 5, which if im not mistaken is hard shit?? i donno, i wasnt in jazz last year, but i like hank levey, hes one of the greatest composers in my eyes

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Ok - now I have to arrange some NIN for sax ensemble... Any takers?

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

pick me maniac!! pick me!! i cant wait til i get to improv on some of that shiznit!! can we play some slipknot?? and some mudvayne too??!??! hahahahaha

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I can just hear the swingin' cymbal brush strokes and the cool snap of the singer's groove... "Head like a hole, black as your soul... How you ladies doin' tonight? All right... (wink, cheesy smile)... I'd rather die than give you control..."

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Sorry, man. You lost me with the "shiznit" comment. I'm "old school" alternative/industrial. Jane's A (pre-Navarro going to RHCP) was about the end of that creative era. When Skinny Puppy started showing up on MTV, I knew it was over. HEY! Remember the 80's? Oh. Never mind. You know, it would be easy enough for me to loop some NIN audio for play along purposes. Then again, I'd love to put together a swingin' jazz chart for "Head Like a Hole" and put it in front of some old timers who would have no clue. The challenge is on. I'm surely not going to be getting much sleep tonight...

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

i like 80s music...guns and roses, ac/dc, poison, the beatles, don mclean, billy joel, theyre the essence of what is good music, im constantly trying to use pink floys solos in my improv, the idea of bein able to play somthing of theirs on my sax is just awesome, haha

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

anyone know of the sax lick in a supertramp song? I'll put a sample up on my ftp sometime for you guys... (if I remeber)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

"Take the Long Way Home?" Now I gotta dig out all my Supertramp and give them a listen. It's been a while. Before they were "poppy", they did some serious jamming on the order of Yes kind of stuff in the early 1970's. Journey was the same way. Very musically interesting before they started getting radio play. Now thanks to Clear Channel, (with a slightly different take on the FIRST MTV video... "radio killed the radio star". I'm still kicking back thinking about the summer I turned 21 - the same summer of the first (and only real) Lollapalooza. Ahhh... Rollins Band, Butthole Surfers (with shotgun accompaniment no less)... ok enough of my self-gratifying reminiscing...

Reply To Post

6. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

I LIKE OLD JAZZ COMPOSED BY GEORGE GERSHWIN,DUKE ELLINGTON AND JOSEF ZAWINUL

Reply To Post

7. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

woah, take a chill pill, davida. We're playing whisper not right now, superb chart, as well as an arangement of deluge from chris merz, an arangement of penny arcade from bob washut, and maids of cadiz. obviously more but those are most noteable.

Reply To Post

8. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I have two in my head now that are just kick ass tunes! Broadway - From the CD Art & Zoot Pick up the Pieces - Adverage White Band.... someone tell me they have the music for this laying around somewhere??? PLEASE!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

9. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

i must have played pick up the pieces soooooo many times so that i cant stand to play that chart anymore ive played it like 5 times today alone grrr i hate it now still good when we actaully get to doing it but i always grunt when were pullin it up

Reply To Post