Saxophone Forum

by Peter B
(1 post)
12 years ago

FL Ligature mod

The debate about whether ligatures make any difference to a horn's tone has rumbled on for years and will no doubt rumble on for many more.

I don't want to get into that debate, but I thought I might mention a very simple modification to my FL tenor lig that I think has made a difference to my tone on tenor.  This mod creates a single point contact for the reed instead of the original FL lig's 4 point contact. In my view the mod allows the reed to vibrate more freely and I get a crisper, more focussed tone from it, yet still retain plenty of control.

The mod involves simply removing the original LF lig clamp plate by unscrewing the little screw which holds it in, and replacing this with a small dome headed screw with a drop of epoxy resin applied to its dome to make it smooth, see picture.

I claim no originality for this mod.  I saw it described elsewhere, but I tried it and it certainly works for me and the beauty of it is that it's easily and quickly removed if you don't like it.

I just thought this might be of interest.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gloss1
    (27 posts)

12 years ago

Re: FL Ligature mod

I have taken old cheap ligatures and lined the inside of it with old cut out pieces of intertube from an old tire. Be sure to use a real rubbery cement like clear 100% silicone rubber glue to glue the rubber to. You also can use just the clear silicone rubber caulking at different contact points of the lig. You will find this nothing short of amazing. You also will come up with more ideas of our own. In the old days we use intertubing all the time. When you do just the silicone just spot it on like a water bead at the contact points where you want it. Allow at least 24 hours for it to cure in place. God Bless you all. Jerry   [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by gloss1
    (27 posts)

12 years ago

Re: FL Ligature mod

The less contacts you can make with the reed and the mouthpiece and still have equal pressure on the piece the better. I have always use old intertubing glued by 100% silicone clear caulking. Allow to dry for a period of at least 24 hours. Results are nothing less than fantastic. Use cheap old ligs. You will probably come up with a desing of your own. Let us all know how this works. Blessings. Jerry

Reply To Post