Saxophone Forum

by Chucklhead05
(4 posts)
12 years ago

Greetings, everyone!

Hey Y'all!

I recently, as of 12 hours ago, was goven an old Beuscher c melody sax. It needs new pads, corks, and a GOOD cleaning and polishing. I came in here to get some good info and am looking forward to fixing this thing up and learning how to play. As long as my nephew doesn't find it...then he'll take it and never give it back! LOL!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Chucklhead05
    (4 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Greetings, everyone!

Oh, the serial number is 105330. It also says 'Low Pitch' under the serial number.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

12 years ago

Hi Chuck-

As I'm sure you've already discovered from the museum section of this web site, you have a 1922 Buescher saxophone. The old Buescher c-melodies are fairly antiquated in their keywork and have some unique intonation quirks. However, they do get a nice sound with the right mouthpiece. Its a totally functional saxophone once you have it set up and regulated properly.

If you're planning to repair it yourself and you have no past experience with instrument repair, I would strongly recommend getting with someone knowledgeable who can show you at least a few of the basics. Also, you may want to have a competent shop look it over first, just to make sure there are no serious issues such as warped tone holes, bent keys, mis-aligned posts, or other issues that would potentially make things frustrating for you.

Otherwise, best of luck and keep us informed as to your progress!!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

Hi Chuck-

From the photo, it looks pretty straight. You also want to check to see if the rollers are moving. As for cleanup, a bottle of Hagerty silver polish and a rag will shine this thing up and have it back to looking new in no time.

One quick hint for people experimenting with saxophone repair for the first time. As you disassemble the sax, take photos of the keys and make notes about where you see corks and felts. Also, keep track of the order you take the keys off in and have some way to organize the rods, pivot screws, set screws, springs and other parts while you are in progress. This will potentially save you hours of frustration as you struggle to remember what goes back where and how it gets regulated.

I can still remember my first overhaul. It was a silver 1920's vintage Conn alto. I was in my 20's and I knew nothing about repair at the time. However, I got some great pointers going into it from Randy Jones of Tenor Madness. Noting where everything needed to go up front and being shown a few tips about timing and regulation was a huge help!!!

Again, best of luck and enjoy!!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Chucklhead05
          (4 posts)

12 years ago

Mark, Thanks for the advice. I took numerous pictures of this and am waiting for a quiet week to start on it. In my past, I have restored a couple of silver clarinets, so i understand the frustration of not remembering where each part goes. A local instrument shop, who I trust (always a good thing) looked it over and offered me $300 for it. I naturally refused the offer and they said that it is in great shape. They also ofered to restore it for me, but I like having the satisfaction of doing it myself.

I'll keep you posted on the restoration.

Chuck  

Reply To Post

2. by Kattamaki
        (15 posts)

12 years ago

A c melody sax is quite rare. I would take or send it to an expert.
        Try www.MusicMedic.com, the best place in America. The owners name is Curt Altarac. He is also on facebook. Good luck!! 

Reply To Post