Saxophone Forum

by BariX
(10 posts)
12 years ago

LA Sax Vs Yamaha

I’m in the market of purchasing my very first sax.  I have 6 years of experience playing the bari (YBS-52) and 2 years playing the alto prior to stepping up to the big dog.  It’s been quite some time since I’ve picked up a sax.  I love the bari, but unfortunately cannot afford to spend 5k plus on an instrument.  I am looking at purchasing a tenor.  The LA Sax has caught my eye for its reasonable price in intermediate and professional models.  However, I cannot find any local dealers that sell them or have really heard anything about LA Sax.  This seems like a red flag to me.  I have $1,200 saved and would like to buy new.  I want something that sounds great while not breaking the bank.  I don’t want a student model, something cheap, or to waste my money.  I do not have the luxury of playing the LA Sax before purchasing it.  My question is, has anyone played an LA sax and are they a decent instrument?  I am looking at their series 1 tenors.  All I know is Yamaha and they’re a great instrument.  They’re also expensive and it would take me much longer to step into a YTS-62 or 82 series which would be more than double in price.  All information is helpful.

Thanks           

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: LA Sax Vs Yamaha

The $1200 price range is a tough one for a new professional saxophone. I have a decent amount of experience with LA Sax as they come through our repair shop quite often. I'm definitely not impressed with the overall feel of the LA Sax. Its always felt like a student sax to me both in terms of ergonomics and sound. I've also not been impressed with the mechanics and the build quality.

If it were my money, I'd continue to save a bit and wait to step up to a sax that is of better quality and holds its resale value better, like the Yamaha 62 you mention. Resale is important when considering new saxophones because that new LA Sax that you paid $1200-$1500 for will end up reselling in the $400-$800 range.............ouch. But new horns always take a hit once they're not new anymore. Other very affordable new professional horns to consider are Buffet 400, P. Maurait, Chateau and Antigua Winds.

Another suggestion would be to consider a used sax. You can get into a great used professional saxophone for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of a new one. The most important thing to consider when buying used is to make sure it has been looked over by or is coming from a competent shop so you know you're not getting something that has been previously damaged or otherwise needs to have money sunk into it right away. Or if it does need pad work, make sure that's figured into the price when buying. You can get into a nice used Yamaha 62 tenor in the $1800-$2000 range if you look around. You can even find used Selmer Paris series II and III's in the mid $2k price range. 

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by BariX
      (10 posts)

12 years ago

MarkO,

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like LA Sax is too good to be true.  As I mentioned before, I definitely do not want a student model and want something that sounds great.  Resale isn’t really important to me.  I would like to buy something right the first time and hang on to it.  The reason I mention buying new was I didn’t want to spend a good amount of money on something all banged up.  If there’s a fairly great looking and sounding used sax for the right price, I could go with that.  It sounds like I should keep saving.

As I mentioned before, all I’ve ever played was Yamaha.  I saw the P. Maurait on the site.  How are they and what model would you recommend?  I’m considering a new budget of $2,000. 

Thanks,

Jeremy      

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

P. Mauriat saxophones are tremendous. Mauriat has a huge artist roster of some of the best players today playing on their horns. I could name them here, but there's just too many. Check out the "artists" link on their web site.

http://pmauriatmusic.com/en/artists

That speaks volumes because P. Mauriat does not give away saxophones to its endorsers. These are top level professionals playing P. Mauriat simply because that's the horn they chose to play, period! 

As for model, its kind of a personal choice. However, I would recommend the LeBravo 200 series for you given your budget. Its a lower price option, but I can guarentee that it hangs right in there with any of the other Mauriats. In fact, Ben Reece from our shop who is one of the most in demand professional saxophonists in St. Louis plays the LeBravo also as his first choice.

It gets a nice warm sound with a very quick response. Intonation is also very good. It would make a great horn for the player needing a versitile horn for both jazz and classical playing.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to call the shop and I can give you more information about the LeBravo or any other model P. Mauriat that interests you. We also have them all here in stock and have hand selected them from the P. Mauriat warehouse.

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by BariX
          (10 posts)

12 years ago

MarkO,

Thanks again for all the info.  How would you rate the LeBravo 200 vs the YTS-62?  Do you believe in your personal/professional opinion that one is better than the other or that one brand is better than the other?

You mentioned you carried the Mauriats at your store.  Do you guys sell any used? 

Thanks,

Jeremy     

Reply To Post

2. by tsmith800
        (10 posts)

12 years ago

Hi I don't have any experence with the La Sax. But I have a Voodoo Master tenor by Saxgourmet. It cost $2000.00 with case and mouthpiece. I know that's over your $1200.00 saved but for the money you just can't beat it, IMHO. They are made from rose brass and look like a shiney penny, and the tone is awsome!
        Good luck in your search.

Reply To Post

1. by BariX
          (10 posts)

12 years ago

Tsmith800,

Thanks for the info. 

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

12 years ago

Find a yamaha 62 tenor used for around $1500. to $2000.00........They are great horns, and much better than the LA Sax!!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

12 years ago

Buying a used horn is a daughting task beyond the ability of most first time buyers. L
          STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post