Saxophone Forum

by Kattamaki
(15 posts)
12 years ago

My Congratulations!!

Greetings saxophone.org!! I've been around for a long time, played professionally for over 50 years and am now retired. Someone sent me a link and I am quite surprised to find all this great information, someone has done a great job!! Look forward to chatting with some classical folks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: My Congratulations!!

Hi Carina-

Thanks! Its great to have you on board. I'm more of a jazz musician, but I enjoy playing classical literature too. My wife is a serious classical player and its always great fun to play in smaller chamber ensemble situations with her. We've played in several different sax quartets over the years. Probably one of my favorite pieces we've performed togther on was Russel Peck's "Drastic Measures". Its not a hard piece, but its really a wonderful composition when played well. We also played a Piazzolla saxophone quartet that was great, but I can't remember what it was called off the top of my head?

I'd love to hear you play. If you have some audio or video, you can post in the audio/video section of this site, I'd love to check out your stuff.

You had asked about the Buescher film when you rated it and about identifying people in it. We have identified several people. August Buescher is the person seated behind the desk at the beginning of the film. He's also the older gentleman who shakes hands with Paul Whiteman close to the end of the film. On this web site, in the museum factory tours section, you will find a set of photos from 1928 that shows all of the factory workers in their respective departments. I was fortunate enough to acquire these photos from the niece of Irene Weaver (Dolly Olson, who was incredibly generous with her gift of these photos). Irene Weaver was secretary to O.E. Beers (president of Buescher in the 1940's and 50's). She had identified everyone in the photos by name. Several of the people in the 1924 film can thus be identified through these photos. For example, the first man shown soldering the bow to the bell and body tube is Jerry Dusech (as seen in photo 3 of the August 1928 Buescher photo set). I'll be posting up a photo set from 1936 and from the 1940's soon too.

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Kattamaki
      (15 posts)

12 years ago

Thank you for your answer. I met Doc Wagner a long time ago when I visited the Buescher factory. That was most likely in the 50s.
      For more information: www.rsq-sax.com, on facebook, also the archive at Fredonia, on youtube, look for the Philip Glass performance from his album Saxophone or the Denhoff Gegen-Saetze. Cheers

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

That's great that you actually knew Doc Wagner. Interestingly, he may actually be present in this 1924 Buescher saxophone documentary. I found an interesting article published in the MTR in 1925 that says Doc Wagner was in the Buescher crew that welcomed the Whiteman band to the factory in the visit that was captured in this footage. Check out the attached article here.

Cheers,

Mark Overton

saxquest.com

Reply To Post