Saxophone Forum

by anavarro217
(2 posts)
12 years ago

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax

I have a Selmer Mark VI tenor saxophone that is missing a neck piece. I took it to a music store to get recorked and when I went back to get it, the store had went out of business. I am looking to sell it, but I am not sure if I should try to get a neck piece first and maybe it will up its value? Also, is it compatible to any "Selmer Mark VI" tenor neck piece? How do I know if it is a good neck piece and if it will sound right with what I have. Looking at ebay's past sales and other resources on the internet, I think it is worth between $5,000 - $7,000, complete. Serial number is 166xxx, made in France. Any imput is appreciated. Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax

First, I'm sorry to hear about your neck getting lost. I'm sure you've tried everything. But if you haven't, please make sure to track down the owner of the store and ask where your neck is. If you dropped it off when they were open and came back in a reasonable time frame and they were then out of business, the neck could not have gone far. If the assets were seized by a bank, you're repair claim ticket should be enough to prove the neck is yours. I would not give up on this without a serious fight. It would be criminal for either the business owners or the seizing bank to have sold your neck. If it just got thrown out, then you may be out of luck except for a small claims suit. An original Mark VI tenor neck in the 166xxx vintage should be worth about $700-$1000 in good condition. 

As for selling, you could try selling it without the neck, but you'd alienate a large buying population. Most people interested in buying your horn without a neck would be resellers not end-buyers. However, considering the cost of buying an original Mark VI tenor neck, it may be a wash at the end of the day. For example, you may get $4000 "as is" and $5000 with a Mark VI neck. But you'll have to spend about $1000 to get a Mark VI tenor neck. So, is it really worth it???

You may want to consider a new copper Selmer Serie III tenor neck. They work extremely well on a Mark VI and it would at least be staying with the correct brand. You can find them for sale at Saxquest for $450. This would keep your end-buyer interest. However, to a reseller, it would not add much value.

If you decide to look for a Mark VI tenor neck, any Mark VI tenor neck that has not been altered severely can be made to work on your horn. You may have to have the neck tenon slightly adjusted to make for a perfect fit with your horn's neck reciever. But that can be done at any competent shop. Be careful with eBay as many times faults are not pointed out. Look for the neck being bent or dents or damage repairs. You never really know how a neck will respond with a horn until you try it. Some are good and others are so-so. But it will certainly add value to your sax to have a Mark VI neck with it.

Also, as for value, you're probably not going to get $7000 for a 166xxx Mark VI tenor in today's market unless its original lacquer and in mint to near mint condition and fully set up and adjusted. However, the $5k price range is reasonable given its in decent original lacquer.

Best of Luck!!

Cheers,

Mark Overton
         saxquest.com
         saxophone.org

Reply To Post

1. by anavarro217
      (2 posts)

12 years ago

Mr. Overton,

Thank you so much for your response. It's been at least 15 years that the neck piece got lost. No hope there, but thanks for the advice on that. 

I sent the sax to a repair man in Santa Ana, CA who wants to charge me $2,000 to fix, including a neck piece. I'm going to try to get a couple more estimates before I decide what to do. I'm going to attach a couple pictures, I think it's in mint condition compared to what I've seen online. Maybe you can give me a more accurate price?

Thank you for all your help.

Annette

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

Hi Annette-

Its difficult for me to comment on the $2000 repair price tag without knowing anything about the neck that you would be buying. Like I said eariler, all Mark VI necks are not equal. You'll want to inquire as to weather it has original lacquer or if its been relacquered or stripped. Often times, a neck stripped of lacquer is done so to hide past repairs. You can always determine if a neck has been pulled down to any appriciable extent by looking at the sides of the neck to see if the lacquer has ever been creased or if dents have ever been removed because they leave lacquer blemishes. However, if a neck has been stripped or relacquered, its much more difficult to see. The other thing to consider about value with a Mark VI neck is vintage. An eariler vintage Mark VI neck is typically worth more. You can determine if a neck is pre or post 1967 by looking at the hindge mechanism (see photos below). The earlier necks in general tend to play better.

I can tell you that your sax appears to be in beautiful original lacquer. It certainly looks like its been just sitting in a case for many years. This typically makes a repairman's job much easier when it comes to an overhaul. For example, its doubtful that your sax will need extensive key fitting. Its doubtful that keys have been bent or past repairs will have to be undone. These are all things that we repair people see with used saxophones that have been in and out of the hands of various repair shops over the years (some good and other not so good). 

I can tell you that our repair shop (Saxquest) would charge $750 + parts to overhaul your saxophone. This would include all new pads (choice of pad type and resonator type), new felts, new corks, new springs where needed (it would be my preference to save as many original springs as possible. Given the well preserved state of your sax, most would probably be saved). It would also involve appropriate key fitting and proper tone hole leveling and all other necessary adjustments. We do have an original lacquer Mark VI tenor neck that came from a varitone horn (early vintage neck) that we can sell for $800. We've removed the varitone pickup and given it a flush plug. Having a pick up removed devalues a neck by about $200-$300. So, all said and done, we'd be in the $1600 range. So, if the shop you are talking to is really good and the neck is really good, the $2000 price tag may be a bit steep, but its certainly in the ballpark of what you should expect.

I've included a few photos below that show what a bent neck looks like in comparison to a neck that has not been bent. I've also included photos of the hidge mechanism so you can see the difference between an earlier vintage verses a later vintage Mark VI tenor neck.

Cheers,

Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com
             www.saxophone.org

Reply To Post