Saxophone Forum

by NathanR
(3 posts)
12 years ago

Buescher Aristocrat by Selmer '63 repairable?

As a musician feeling comfortable playing bass and guitar in college I now wish to pick up playing Alto an instrument I've always harboured a desire to play but never had the chance. A while back I bought a sax from ebay a Buescher Aristocrat #397xxx as it encompassed everything i wanted from a sax visualy however it wasn't packaged well and seemed to have been damaged in transit. It hadn't been used for some time so i was expecting to have to have it overhauled. It had a sticky key so i took the left hand key work of to what the problem is. The third post down is out of line so would like to know what the damage is, roughly what it'll cost to have repaired and what this horn will be worth when working? Below are some pictures showing the sax. Its not in the greatest condition, few dents, plenty of wear and what not but thats all part of it to me as long as performance isn't effected obviously. Thanks for any opinions. I believe it is a aristocrat by selmer from 63?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat by Selmer '63 repairable?

Get an estimate from a good repair shop for everything that needs to be done, and be prepared for the possibility that the repair cost would exceed the value of the horn.  The later Aristocrats/Bundy Is were good student horns, but when they have significant damage their economic life is over.

Reply To Post

1. by NathanR
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat by Selmer '63 repairable?

Yes Thanks, I really do like this horn and so for now I will wait until i can get it repaired. I believe the problem with it is that it has been bent (possibly in transit) and this has put the posts of the left hand keys out of line making the causing the middle finger key to stick. When i can afford it I'll have it done and begin to learn! Thanks for the reply

Reply To Post