Saxophone Forum

by novice1981
(2 posts)
12 years ago

King Super 20 Alto Sax

Hi, my name is Chad. I am from Houma, LA. I recently purchased a storage unit which held a King Super 20 Alto Sax, The H.N. White Co., Serial # 423xxx. which appears to be in the original case. I took it to a local instrument repairman. He told me that in his 25 years making repairs he had never seen one. Plenty of Tenors, but never an Alto. I am trying to find an accurate evaluation before I let it go, but need to find a buyer soon. Bad lighting in the pictures, but it is silver all over, including inside the bell. I took it to a music store first, and they told me to take it to the repairman and if I have it fixed up, it may be worth more. But he insisted that I leave it how it is, and that many collectors would like it the way it is, and make the changes they want to, how they want to. I figure it all depends on the collector. Also, he looked the serial number up in a catalog and determined it was made between 1965 and 1970, then he called Selmer and they told him it was made between 1940 and 1945. I would like to know if there is a way to determine an accurate age, a ballpark realistic selling point, and where would be the best place to sell it. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: King Super 20 Alto Sax

That horn is from the late 1960s.  Super 20s are generally fine horns, but examples from that era are not sought after to the degree that the ones from the 1940s and 1950s are. 

Your description of the horn being all silver doesn't match the pictures of the horn, which looks like a lacquered example.  Pictures of the actual horn would be helpful, particularly if they provide detail of the neck joint and the bell keys.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Looks like you have a very interestinng saxophone. If you're still looking to sell it, please let me know. Although 423xxx is not the most desired vintage for King Super 20, its still a horn made in Cleavland before the move to East Lake and definitely has good value. If the silver plate is original, then its a fairly rare finish option for that time. Looking forward to hearing form you.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by novice1981
      (2 posts)

12 years ago

I actually currently have it listed on ebay. I had it appraised by a professional player, named Michael Weeks. Please feel free to check out the listing which includes the full appraisal. I also took more pictures and will add them here, you can also reach me at [email protected]

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

12 years ago

Looks like it was built as a quality horn.  The sunburst engraving on the bell keys and the underslung octave key are features that warm the hearts of Super 20 heads.  Plus it's got silver plating in good condition.  Purists might object to it having a conventional neck joint, but the merits of double socket necks are debatable.

Reply To Post

1. by tony1
          (3 posts)

6 years ago

Sorry Chad but as an owner of a double socket standard S20 and a DS alto which are both series 3s I have never seen a Super 20 that is all silver. Chances are its been relaquered and that really brings the value way down. If it were me I wouldnt touch that horn. Sorry

Reply To Post