Saxophone Forum

by Akua
(4 posts)
12 years ago

Fix Conn or Buy Another?

I have an old Conn M275906L which I think makes it 1936 10M Bb Tenor with the lady in the window engraving.

I bought a repair kit and replace a  couple of pads, but it needs more adjusting --I see leaks

but  am fearful of doing the heat up to unseat and reseat pads that are firmly ensconced....

Anyway, though I' sraying into the repair side, I wanted to solicit opinions on whether to fix it

or buy another -- as the prices I've seen for repair are multiples the price of a new horn.

(pix includes alto conn new wonder? m21880l)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Akua
    (4 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Fix Conn or Buy Another?

Couldn't figure out how to edit orginal post -- here's another picture of the sax

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

12 years ago

hi Akua-

That's a great tenor! You've got a pre-WWII vintage Conn 10M. These are some of the biggest sounding vintage tenors out there. We just finished one here at Saxquest with serial number 267xxx and its got a huge resonant sound. I would definitely recommend getting it overhauled. In original lacquer, 10Ms of this vintage can sell in the $2500-$3000 price range. Its difficult to tell from the photos if your sax is original lacquer or an old relacquer.

I would not recommend doing the repairs yourself unless you have an experienced coach to help you. While not rocket science, there are issues regarding set up and regulation that you just can't get without experience. If you choose to use a repair shop, you'll want to be careful about making sure the repair shop that works on your horn is experienced with vintage Conn saxes of this era. These horns have rolled tones holes that need to be treated with repect when it come to leveling. There are techniques that we and other experienced vintage repair shops use that are required to preserve the roll of the tone hole lip. 

Bottom line is it looks like you have a very cool vintage saxophone. It would most likely be worth pursuing an overhaul. The sound will be like no modern sax you can buy today. Best of Luck!

Cheers,

Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Akua
        (4 posts)

12 years ago

Thanks for your swift reply!

I would like to overhaul it -- it's just that the price for overhaul (I'm in NY and best quote was a grand) is multiple the price for

an inexpensive but serviceable horn  ($500) in the short run.

In the long run, I will never part with this horn, as I starved and worked overtime circa 1980, to get it.

oh well -- another reason to hit the lottery.

Reply To Post