Saxophone Forum

by jpeezy218
(2 posts)
12 years ago

please help!!

found an old sax at an estate sale, and cant identify it. could be a conn, but not sure of date. only markings are: patd.dec.8.1914 underneath that it says: 119954 underneath that: A underneath that: p3128 an underneath that: L   so from research i did, i figure its a conn alto sax, but with that serial number starting with p, is that 1971? because it sure looks alot older than that. seems to be very good quality. any info would be gratly appreciated!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

12 years ago

Re: please help!!

The P would tend to indicate a Pan American, which was a cheap saxophone Conn produced. The Pan American serial numbers have no relationship to the Conn serial numbers, and the horns are not the same.

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by jpeezy218
      (2 posts)

12 years ago

thanks alot for your help. any idea of the age? and i suppose the value is not much?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

12 years ago

Your first clue as to the age would be whether it has split or same-side bell keys.  The split bell key models are older horns based on the tooling that was used for the New Wonder "Chu Berry" horns.  The same-side bell key horns are dimensionally similar to the Directors and 10Ms.  Definitive information on when that switch happened seems lacking, but there are some opinions that it happened in the late 1940s. 

The Pan Americans were good second-line horns, but if someone tries to convince you that one is equivalent to one of the classic Conn horns, don't believe them.  If you are considering one, top condition and low price are paramount. 

Reply To Post