Saxophone Forum

by striker1211
(3 posts)
12 years ago

Need help identifying Old CG Conn Alto Sax

I purchased a vintage sax at an estate sale and am curious as to the model and the age. The serial number is 60874. According to research I've done that places it between 1920 and 1921. However someone on eBay messaged me and says its much new than that. It has a floral engraving on the horn. There is an A stamped above the serial which indicates it is an Alto and an L stamped below which means it is a low pitch sax. Could anyone here shed some light? Thanks in advance.

Link to a lot more images:
http://tinyurl.com/d76mfa8  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Need help identifying Old CG Conn Alto Sax

Well, first off this is not a Conn saxophone. It looks like a Martin stencil according to the keywork. Although, the table mechanism may have been rebuilt at Conn. It was probably an old horn that was restored at the C.G. Conn repair school in the 1940s-1950s and then restamped with the CG Conn name. You can see from the engraving that, the original engraving is buffed over and the horn has been replacered. But the CG Conn stamping is newer, over the top of the old engraving. An interesting horn from a historical perspective, but not one worth putting any money into. It has antiquated keywork and would most likely play fairly poorly in the tuning department. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by striker1211
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Need help identifying Old CG Conn Alto Sax

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Very interesting. 

Reply To Post