Saxophone Forum

by Haanzig
(19 posts)
12 years ago

Rocket Eb alto

I'm trying to date a vintage alto that I've had for years & can't find the manufacturer on any of the links . It's a Rocket labeled Elkhart,Ind with a serial no. 21781 I was told by a local music store that does my overhaul & adj. service that it's from the 1930's & that Rocket later became "Bundy" but can't verify the details or even find serial no.'s for Bundy . . . Perhaps someone out ther has more info ? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Rocket Eb alto

The Rocket sax was made by Buescher. I don't think you'll find a serial number chart for it because like most stencils it didn't follow any discernable pattern and was not a long lived brand. After Buescher was bought by Selmer, the Buescher Aristocrat became the Bundy, so that may be what your tech was referencing.

Reply To Post

1. by Haanzig
      (19 posts)

12 years ago

Thanks ! Any other info would be a help if anyone out there knows . . . . Any idea what it's worth ? Not really looking to sell , Just curious . . .

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

Its not going to be worth very much. Its essentially a Buescher True Tone and even the genuine Buescher (non-stencil) True Tone altos don't bring much on the open market. In unrestored condition, you're looking at maybe $100.

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by Haanzig
      (19 posts)

11 years ago

Here's a new question for you . . . Re; the same horn . . .How do I tell if it's high or low pitch . . . I have noticed that {stucturally} the fingering differs from my 10m  . . . I have to transpose my brain to play the same tune on the alto  . . .

Reply To Post AIM

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

Low pitch horns are stamped with an L or "low pitch," usually near the serial number.  Those are the ones that are playable by today's tuning standards.  Your transposition has to do with the key of the horn (Bb versus Eb), not whether it is a low pitch or high pitch horn.

Reply To Post

1. by Haanzig
          (19 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks .... wasn't familiar with the terms & all the books I have don't make a distinction between Alto & Tenor re: fingering charts . Don't have an "L" in my serial no. & the fingering charts {note wise } don't match with the alto ,though they do on my 10M . . . 

Reply To Post AIM