Saxophone Forum

by herring58
(1 post)
12 years ago

Revived Conn Tenor

I've reconditioned my 1931 Conn Tenor, serial number M[?]247120.

What kind of mouthpiece should I try, to get a warm, dark sound? Is there anything I can do to restore its (probably laquer) finish?

What would anyone guess it might be worth, in good playing condition?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Revived Conn Tenor

Your best option for finding its value is to find closing prices for eBay auctions of similar horns.  Keep in mind that the values of vintage horns have gotten soft since the economic downturn.  But if you want a warm, dark sound that horn is a keeper. 

Large chamber mouthpieces like the Otto Link New York pieces bring out the gorgeous depth that those horns have.  You will also want a medium to large tip opening (.100" or greater) and a low baffle unless you want a brighter sound.  There is a tradeoff, as larger tips and lower baffles require more embouchure development than smaller tips and higher baffles do.

Any work on the finish would require re-doing the work you did in reconditioning the horn.  Relacquering a horn is not worthwhile.  It doesn't make the horn sound any better or add to its value.  It is extremely expensive to do right, as a lot of hand buffing is required.  Shops that do relacquers on the cheap do mechanical buffing, which can damage the horn.  If the ratty finish really bothers you, you could strip the horn when you do your next overhaul.  If you don't want your stripped horn to tarnish, you can coat it with carnuba wax.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Duplicate post

Reply To Post

3. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

12 years ago

see our value guide nfor vintage saxophones at www.saxgourmet.com     be sure to read the preface and deduct the full retail cost of any needed repairs to make the horn PERFECT,

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post