Saxophone Forum

by chemist1979
(7 posts)
12 years ago

Conn Saxophones

I have two Conn saxophones: A Conn 16M Tenor sax Serial numnber 953### with Conn USA Shooting Star logo and a Conn Alto Sax Serial number E299## with Conn USA Shooting Star logo.The Alto has no model number but I assume that it was made in Elkhart, IN. Is there a way to find out the year that they were manufactured and anything else about them?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn Saxophones

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=3

Your tenor is from around 1963 and your alto is from 1965.  The Conn student models from that era were made in Nogales, Arizona.  Quality-wise, they were not to the same standard as the ones made in Elkhart, but better than the ones made in Mexico from 1969 to 1980.  Their value is a few hundred dollars in good condition.  If a Conn has "USA" but not "Elkhart, Indiana" engraved on the bell, it was made at the Nogales plant. 

Reply To Post

1. by chemist1979
      (7 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for the information. A couple of additional questions: What is the model number for the alto sax? I can not find any number present on the sax. One other item is that the F# key is a pearl key and not a paddle key. I think that is the way to describe it. Is the E at the beginning of the serial number mean that it was built in Elkhart even though Elkhart is not written on the bell?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The model number of your alto is 14M.  The official name of the "shooting star" student horns is Director.  The E letter designates the year , not the location, of production.  Correction to previous post:  The tenor was produced in 1962, not 1963.  The letters were introduced to the serial number system in 1963. 

That's certainly an odd bit about the pearl F# key. 

Reply To Post

1. by alishalouise
          (1 post)

11 years ago

Interesting about the year and place produced. I also have a Shooting Star USA alto with a pearly F# key. 

Reply To Post