Saxophone Forum

by Agamemnon88
(3 posts)
12 years ago

Buescher sax

I found a Buescher sax in the attic at my parents house and am trying to find some information on it. It is a true tone, low pitch and definetly old. I was told it was 20's or 30's. I couldnt even tell you if its an alto or tenor. Serial # is 132197. It definetly needs a good cleaning and probably some of the pads replaced, if not all. I'm not a saxaphone player, my father bought this at a yard sale because he thought it was cool. He was not a sax player either. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Buescher sax

There's not a lot of good news on that horn.  The serial # puts the production date some time in 1923.  The good news is that a low pitch horn is compatible with modern instruments in an ensemble.  If it were a high pitch horn, the value would be zero.  The True Tones are sweet sounding horns with a reputation for playing somewhat better than other horns from the same era, but hey don't have a high market value.   

I suspect that that horn is neither an alto or a tenor, but a C-melody.  It looks a lot like a tenor because of the curved neck, but the location of the B key (the first key above the bell seam) strongly suggests that it is a C-melody.  To be sure, measure the length from the bottom of the bow to the neck receiver.  If it's about 25" it's a C-melody.  If it's closer to 30" it's a tenor.  C-melody saxes haven't been in favor for a number of years, but they are experiencing something of a revival as a niche market.  C-melody horns have a lower value than altos and tenors.

The big bummer with that horn is that the keywork is antiquated even by vintage horn standards.  It lacks a front F bridge key, which is a big limitation for playing at the top end of the horn.  It also has a button style G# keytouch, whch is really clunky to play.  Bueschers of that era did have a single octave key, so you've at least got that much.

The horn looks like it's in reasonably good condition, but it's a horn for fanatics only.  I honestly don't see a whole lot of value as a mainstream player's horn.  Your best option would be marketing the horn to historical horn buffs on an as-is basis. 

Reply To Post

1. by Agamemnon88
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Buescher sax

I apreciate the insight. Truthfully my intention was just to see what it may be worth and try and sell it on ebay. I have no idea where to begin price wise, considering condition or work that may need to be put into it. Thank you again for the helpful response though. Of course other responses are welcome if anyone else has something to add. Either way, much appreciated.

Reply To Post