Saxophone Forum

by teebs24
(7 posts)
12 years ago

Reed suggestions for Otto Link NY 7*

Hello everyone. I'm a long-time reader, but first-time poster. So, I think it is customary to give a little background on myself. I'll make it quick so we can get to the real question.

I've been playing saxophone for about 15 years I guess. I play exclusively tenor, I have never played alto (weird, I know). I was a pretty serious player in college (school jazz bands, dance band, marching band, pep band, etc.), but since I left school, the only place I play now is in church twice a week. I played on a Guardala King mouthpiece until about 6 months ago, then I switched to the Otto Link NY 7*. I loved the Guardala King for what it was, but it was just a little too much (bright, loud) for the church setting, hence the switch to the Link. Ok, now to my question

Does anyone have any reed suggestions to get a little more brightness and projection out of the Link? I know that Otto Links are one of the darker sounding mouthpieces out there. I like the ease and comfort of the Link for the church setting, but I need a little more volume and projection. 

My current setup is: Selmer Series III tenor, Rico Jazz Select reeds (3 strength, unfiled), and Otto Link NY 7* mouthpiece.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long first post.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Zaxman
    (31 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Reed suggestions for Otto Link NY 7*

The Java Green box reeds can brightren those pices a bit.  To find the right reed it will take some experimenting but I can tell you if you are looking for a lively brighter sound on a  link avoid any reeds that have a reputation for already being dark, Vandoren Blue box, V12 etc.  
    Both of the Java reeds have a reputation for working well on those mouthpieces, the red box Java's tend to be a little bit darker.  You might also try the Alexander Superial DC reeds, they respond really well on most pieces.   

Good luck on your search for sound. 

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by teebs24
      (7 posts)

12 years ago

Anyone Else? Any other suggestions/opinions?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

Alexander Duperial "DC" or "NY" is a great option for a slightly brighter sound. You may also want to consider LaVoz. I've heard people bash on LaVoz reeds, but I've had great success and I definitely feel like I have a good presence with my sound using LaVoz (and they're not super expensive).

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by tempomaster
        (36 posts)

11 years ago

Within the last seven months you've probably found just the right reed / mouthpiece combo but just in case....

Doesn't the 7* have a 107 tip opening?  I know my OL does and I believe it's a 7*.  I have really enjoyed playing with a Legere #2 or a Fibercell #2.5.  Seems to help brighten my sound.    

Reply To Post