Saxophone Forum

by bradg
(2 posts)
11 years ago

Bundy BTS 300- Rental or Ruin?

Hi all-
Please help if you can.
I played in hegh school, and i am now 49 years old. I have thought about picking sax back up for a couple of years now. Not a rare situation I gather from perusing the forum. 
A local shop will rent to me a new Bundy BTS 300. I know the cost over the full rental term is rediculous and all of that, and I should really decide to buy or not in the frist three months etc.
My question is really about the horn.
Is this a horn that would just frustrate me and make me want to quit? Or will it be something that I can reach the full range of notes reasonably if I practice and work on my embouchure?
Will it always sound like crap and make me want to quit?
I really would appreciate any advice- especially if you have experience with this horn-
Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Bundy BTS 300- Rental or Ruin?

Students generally do one of two things:  quit or outgrow student horns.  For that reason, there is always a good supply of student horns in circulation, which causes the value of a new student horn to depreciate rapidly.  They're seldom a good value proposition.

Matt Stohrer has some interesting thoughts on the ins and outs of horns for students in this article:  http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/is-it-worth-buying-a-pro-model-saxophone-part-ii/

They apply especially to an adult student such as yourself. 

Reply To Post