Saxophone Forum

by jazzinjj
(3 posts)
12 years ago

keilwerth SX 90R & Conn 10M

I play a Keilwerth sx 90R tenor the 9 years I've been playing. I would like to buy a vintage horn to switch up or as a back-up horn. I hear Conns are free blowing saxes. MK 6 I know are very free blowing saxes ( tried one before ). Cannot afford a 6 so I'm looking for something that is cheaper. Question is can a Conn 10m match the free blowing ability that the keilwerth has so that I won't feel like I bought something that's stuffy and would not want to play it from time to time?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Re: keilwerth SX 90R & Conn 10M

A good 10M is closer to the sound of your Keilwerth than a 6 will ever be, so no worries. I'm a 10M player, and the SX 90R is the one modern horn I've played that even comes close. They're both big bore horns with a big sound. When 10Ms are set up right, they're not stuffy at all. There is a little resistance towards the bottom end, but part of that is from the tip openings and reeds that I use. You'll definitely want a large chambered Link type piece for good intonation with a 10M. I also found less resistance when I started using the neck enhancer from Saxgourmet.

The pre 1955 10Ms with the old style neck and the later double socket neck 10Ms are tonally quite different horns. The earlier horns have a smoother sound. The sound of the later horns is overly spread (lless tonal center) for my taste, but still with that big 10M bottom end. Not all players notice the difference, depending on how dynamic their playing is.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzinjj
      (3 posts)

12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will look into that neck enhancer by Saxgourmet after a 10M purchase. I had always wondered if it did in fact work. I guess using my Vandoren T97 Java should be just right for the 10m as it is for my Keilwerth...Thanks again!!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

12 years ago

First, let me say that I completely agree that the Keilwerth SX90R is the ONE modern saxophone that is cut from a different cloth and comes closest to what the Conn 10M was all about. HUGE SOUND!!! Nice spread and flexible core and such a fast response. But the Keilwerth has the advantage of better (modern) keywork and a much better scale. Don't get me wrong, I love a good WWII vintage Conn 10M or 30M and I choose to play them on gigs from time to time. But, all things being equal (and take out the sentimental, "I'm playing the same horn that early Dexter played")..........guess what, I'm grabbing my Keilwerth SX90R!!!

To be more precise, if you haven't tried the new VINTAGE series SX90R, then DO SO!!! This particular new Keilwerth saxophone (set up properly with a nice open key height) is great! Check out this new Vintage Series SX90R and open your mind to a new tonal concept!!! It's the real deal!!!

All other modern saxophone makers seem to be trying to replicate (with varying degrees of success) one specific tonal concept that Selmer hit upon in the 1950's. While this sound may have ushered in the bop and post-bop movements heralded by many players of iconic status.........with all due respect, today's player needs to be more than that!!! SOUND is key; and the key to sound is creating your own voice steeped in tradition. Seriously, is there more to it than that.......I don't think so! 

So, all modern saxophones don't have to sound the same and they don't have to have that same "forced" (but not yet fully achieved) vintage Selmer focused core. THANK GOODNESS that Keilwerth saxophones has recently doubled down their efforts and continues to believe in diversity. I love that BIG broad Keilwerth sound! Its unique, its true to itself and its not trying to half-ass replicate something that's already been done!!!

Keilwerth is the only big player manufacturer who has stayed true to their vision of what a saxophone should be..........and it's without a doubt the closest existing version to what the 40's Conn "naked lady" saxophone was all about.

To get back to the response here, I have to say, I really don't think the neck enhancer from Saxgourmet is going to get you what you are looking for here. I'm friends with Steve Goodson and I'm a huge fan of his vision in seeing beyond the Selmer Mark VI in regards to his own saxophone line. But, really, in this instance, take the 10M for what it is and relish its beauty. Perhaps, try the neck enhancer as its a relatively inexpensive investment, but my guess is that it will quickly be another one of those accessories that fills up your desk drawer in this instance. 

BEST OF LUCK!!!!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             WWW.SAXQUEST.COM

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

12 years ago

YMMV of course - there are all sorts of variables in setups and the the player that affect resistance/response. But in my situation the neck enhancer does improve bottom-end response.  If jazzinjj experiences what I experienced, it's worth a shot.  And it's a lot less costly than other trips down the gear geek rabbit hole.  

One other cool thing about the Conn 10M is the rod neck strut that you can attach fitted weights to.  Total cost under $10.  I understand that it's a tonal enhancement trick dating back to the big band era.  

Reply To Post

2. by luckyford
          (5 posts)

11 years ago

You an the horn are what it takes! make your horn work rite. I Endorse no shop just play well and he best avail... I've looked @ gourmets stuff and if  wanna spend it may help... hell you have 15 get a category in OK we callem an F6. An they dnt cost 15 grand.........................tmk
          I have taiwanese made selmer artist that rocks .  Bell chase, LA The shadow ismy fave sx 90.... euge groove plays one.

Reply To Post Yahoo!