Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
19 years ago

School Band Discussion

They locked our discussion, so here's another one to last us hopefully another twenty-one days. May the day Mike started that discussion be brought into history, lol. We welcome any new "responders". Just found melody line for St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins. kimmelcenter.org/events/sax.php the event is over with, but it's near you mike, so you could probably go next year. But you can still download the melody lines, St. Thomas is my favorite song ever. What is the point of locked discussions? -Leslie

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MiddleSchoolSax
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: School Band Discussion

hey, im moving from my discussion that i started,

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

heya! what's goin on? yeah, sonny rollins is awesome. so i'm hoping my band turns out ok this year. i forgot to audition for the higher level band, which really sux cuz i'm stuck with the kids whos parents made them play in the band. or they just can't play at all. there was this one guy who came in and was like "yeah, i have no idea what i play. but i'll play something". lol. crazy.... cya, kara

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, he is the best. Does anyone know if he's doing any concerts in Michigan or Indiana or Illinois this year? I'm trying to find a concert to go see. There's this one at our concert hall, it's with herbie hancock, michael brecker, and roy harlgrove, but it's sold out for all the good seats. that stinks how you forgot to audition. lol, we have a lot of that too. I'm trying to get more jazz cds. Does anyone know if BMG Music works? www.bmgmusic.com it sounds good, but you never know. ttyl, -Leslie

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
        (86 posts)

19 years ago

Howdy folks. Nobody ever comes to boring Charleston SC. We just get a bunch of little pop stars. Nothing interesting. Oh well. Yeah, I know how you feel, Kara. I couldn't fit jazz band into my schedule, so I had to take Symphonic band. I'm the only sax player and our class only has 12 people in it. And everyone else sucks! I don't wanna sound stuck up or anything, but everyone has just been playing for like 1 or 2 years.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah well i don't think you should judge kids by how long they've been playing. i know what you mean though, lol. see, i've been playing sax for 2 years, and people ask me that and automatically think i suck. so they're like, oh so you're a beginner? and i'm like ...um...actually i'm lead sax in high school jazz band. lol. cool you're from SC? i wish i could go there .... my bf lives there .. .sux cuz i can never see him=(.

Reply To Post

2. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

19 years ago

Whoops, sorry didn't mean to offend. You are one of those special peeps that pick it up real fast. Not many of the other kids can play real well . . . they can't even count, and that is what bothers me the most. When people don't even get the rythym right. haha There is this one boy who plays the piccolo. I HATE that thing. Its so high and shrill and never in tune. It annoys the crap out of me. Yes I'm in SC, right near the coast. Lately marching band has been no fun, with all of the hurricane leftovers we're getting and with my director, you can bet we are out in it all! So what part is your bf in? Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

hey guys, I was always jealous of the people who didnt' have to practice and they'd still be good. lol, I know Kara practices though. Our band kinda stinks too, but we have some really good players, I learned to count, but that's one of the things I need more practice on. Without a bari sax sitting by me, it's more difficult to keep in my part. Down south and east is so cool, much better than detroit. It's really dangerous there, so nobody really goes down there. They do have good music though. You are lucky you get marching band. I got to march the pregrame with the highschoolers a couple weeks ago, it was pretty cool. I've never seen the ocean, is it really cool. My dad says that it's the same as Lake michigan, but the waves are bigger. lol. You think a piccolo is bad? How about a soprano sax out of beat and tune? In concert band!, We just got someone with a piccolo, it's so small. IT's like the size of my mouthpiece and neck lol. So how's everything going with you? -Leslie

Reply To Post

4. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

omg, yeah, my sis plays piccolo and it's sooo hard to make a sound out of. i hate it..... heck ya, i practice lots and lots lol. so yesterday we were gonna go to a fb game for marching band that's normally 45 min away. so, we were all in the bus all loaded up (my trumpet was wedged under the sousaphone), and after an hour we got stuck in traffic that was backed up for miles. THEN we got lost, and we never made the fb game. we ended up sitting in the bus for FIVE hours!! lol. we all started to go crazy after 2 hours. it was so much fun though.

Reply To Post

5. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

did someone ask if sonny rollins was playing any gigs somewhere? i dont think hes giged since 2000

Reply To Post

6. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

You can check Sonny Rollins touring info at www.tedkurland.com/pbuild/tourdates.cfm?view=SRO I can't remember the last time he was here (minnesota) but it seems more recently than 2000 and he sounded great.

Reply To Post

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

wasn't he here a few years ago at the U of M? (mann theator I think) actually I know that was around 02...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

o man thank you so much... looks like i get to see sonny rollins again and this time appreciate him more

Reply To Post

9. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

i wish he was at U of M, that's like an half hour away from me. Maybe I can get my parents to drive me to chicago. Have a challenge friday, haven't really had the time to practice it specifically. It's based on weird rests and articulation. Starting to look for new tenor mouthpiece, my Yamaha 4C's aren't cutting it. How would I do on a modern or vintage Larry Teal. Would it be a tough switch? So hows everything going with you guys?

Reply To Post

10. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah it was part of the Northrop Jazz series. I just don't recall the year but '02 sounds about right at any rate he seemed to be in excellent health and playing as well as I recall the first time I heard him many years ago.

Reply To Post