Saxophone Forum

by imspencer
(6 posts)
11 years ago

Conn 10M Value

I'm looking to step up from my student horn and found a Conn 10M on craigslist, serial number E45020. From what I've found online it's a 60s horn. It looks like it's in pretty good condition but I was curious if anyone has any experience with these. Would it be a good horn to step up to? Any issues with the underslung octave key? Also is $775 reasonable? Thanks. Here's the link: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/3415440116.html

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn 10M Value

The price seems reasonable for a 10M from that era (1965) in good condition.  That horn looks like a cherry.  If it doesn't need much pad and felt work, it's a deal. 

Whether or not you should buy it is a personal decision depending on what you want as a player.   10Ms have a big, bold sound.  The later 10Ms have a brighter and less rich sound than the earlier 10Ms.  Since my sound concept is closer to the classic 1940s 10M sounds, I found later 10Ms unsatisfactory.  They just don't have the same depth as the earlier 10Ms.  But there are more than a few players who find that a later 10M suits them just fine.  They're great R&B honkers.  The other issue is that the 10M has an older style pinky table that you would have to adjust to if you cut your teeth on a more modern horn.

Definitely worth checking out, and if it's for you, celebrate that *your* horn has arrived  for less than a grand.

Reply To Post

1. by imspencer
      (6 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn 10M Value

Thanks for the advice. I prefer the 40s sound as well, so I'll probably look for something else. I'm also contemplating a Chu Berry, which from what I can tell has that bigger, bolder tone.

Reply To Post