Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

synthetic reeds??

i kno synthetic reeds suck..but ive been doing my research on some of em just because my vandorens arent holding up very well and the humidity of my school w/o air conditioning warps them in no time.. i met a professional sax player who was playing a synthetic reed made of carbon composites or somthin..it was called a fibra cell reed... its claim is that it sounds, plays and performs like wood or cane, but better..it claims to have superior projection, playability, feel, and so on.. anyone heard of it?? fibra cell?? lemme kno, i wanna try em out

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phillyjazz
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: synthetic reeds??

I've not had a lot of luck with sytnthetics, but I LOVE Plasticover on my bari, alto and soprano. 2 1/2 work for me on alto (fairly close mpce.) For some reason the 1 1/2 work on my bari best. The last a LONG time, but whe they go it is all of a sudden. Fortunately, they seem pretty consistent, and don't need soaking.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

well... my .02 on this issue. I think they are great to pratice on. They sound good with little prep work, they last a while, and they won't warp or anything due to climate conditions. however... I wouldn't use one for a concert or anything, not that they are bad. But I think real reeds sound better, look better, and feel better. But yeah, for regular pratice and stuff they should work just fine.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I double in concert band and triple at church, and I've become accustomed to synthetics. I've not found a good synthetic for a rich soprano sound, but I've ben able to make do quite well on ATB. I use mostly BARI, but have some Fibracells, too. A med-hard or hard Fibracell suffices quite well for legit alto. There are times when cane is the only thing that will achieve certain tone concepts for me, but I'm on cane only 15% of the time or when I'm giving a lesson. I try not to corrupt the utes. Mild bell muting does a fine job of taking the synthetic edge off the tone.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

i've heard before that synthetic reeds work on alto, but stink on tenor. Is this true. What synthetic or non cane reed do you like best for tenor?

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

if anything, ive have experienced the opposite - the legere tenor reeds are a lot better than the alto reeds. I use legeres for practice at school and wasting time and backups incase all of my concert reeds dont work - which depending on temperature, one of them works sometimes and sometimes doesnt. The fibracells are pretty good too, but you cant horse them around - if you play too hard on them, they go to pieces - literally. I have just trashed a fibracell in a concert to where it was impossible to make and sort of sound on it, other than the one heard when one of your palm keys dont shut. I know a jazzer in town and she said that after a concert on one of hers, there was a hole in it about the size of a pencil eraser.

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

How does the Legere reed compare to a cane reed other than material? ex. sound, feel, response

Reply To Post

4. by heisseskorper
          (6 posts)

20 years ago

If you want a good synthetic get a Hartman reed. To me they play and sound better than ANY cane reed I've ever played, and I've played a lot. I use a Hartman Carbon Toptone on my Sugal Super Gonz II...it's a match made in heaven...tone heaven :)

Reply To Post

5. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

those are thos carbon fibre jobs arent they? one of thos EXTREMELY expensive reeds? The legeres play with a big full body of sound, but are rather bright and have an almost brassy tone to them. They play really good - I used ot use them for everything, but I started to get a tendency to sound the same on everything and had to get drastic to sound the way I wanted.

Reply To Post

6. by heisseskorper
          (6 posts)

20 years ago

Saxman, es it is one of those extremely expensive reeds. Woodwind and Brasswind sells them for about $24, for a single reed, and they're where I get them from. Sounds expensive but in the long run it is much much cheaper. First reason being that you get a consistent reed each time instead of buying a box and throwing out more than half of the bad ones. Second reason being they last FOREVER. One of them is 3 years old and still going strong, and the other is about 2 years old. Both play just as they did when new. However, I think they only work well with certain mouthpieces...works great on my Gonz though

Reply To Post

7. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

how do you think it would work on a yamaha 4C or a modern larry teal tenor? One reed that lasts over a month is a miracle for me!

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

the few vandorens that actually work, are going for aobut 3 months each now. (4 of them have lasted a year.) and all show no signs of age.

Reply To Post