Saxophone Forum

by rgz
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Is there an obvious issue I am missing?

I am a new student with a Jupiter student model tenor sax.  Over the past little while I have encountered an increasing problem with high D culminating in the currrent situation, which is that when I try to go up from mid C to D and higher, I just get a high screeching sound.  Sometimes, if I go down from high C I can hit these notes. The problem seems to start around high G and down to high D.  I'm thinking this has something to do with the octave mechanism which seems to change when you go from high A to high G.  The biggest problem is going from mid C or lower and then trying to run up to high D and higher.  Strangely, last night, when I tried to adjust the octave mechanism a little, I got those notes to work for a little while. However, it didn't last.

When I look back on it, it first started with having trouble hitting high G, which I thought was just the way in which I was playing. After practice, it became high D as the problem and I practiced a fair bit and seemed to sort that out. However, it is now just not seeming to work at all.

I was wondering if there is something beyond the obvious solution (to take it in to my local music store for repair) that I might look at?  Cleaning mechanisms?  Pads?

Thanks for your help.   

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Is there an obvious issue I am missing?

It really just sounds like something a shop can address. Either there are some leaks in the lower register causing it to break on your D and E, or something in the octave key isn't working properly. I'd have it looked at, see if they can't spot something obvious. Good luck with it.

Reply To Post