Saxophone Forum

by Alice1997
(1 post)
11 years ago

My Berklee Audition Piece

Hi! Yeah, I know, Im talking about Berklee, but having gone to a small school and being one of 15 people in my band and never taking a music theory class I feel like Im behind on certain levels from the people Im assuming are also going to be auditioning. I was wondering if Lady by Regina Spektor (with the sax solo) would be an appropriate piece. Im not sure if it would be too easy, and I also am poor so Id also like to knowif I had a chance getting in anyway. A lot of what Ive been reading said its all about money? Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

11 years ago

Re: My Berklee Audition Piece

Typically universities are looking for more classically oriented pieces.  Look up "sonata" by Heiden to kinda get a feel for what I mean.  I don't know berklee's adition process, but I would assume if you're looking to go into jazz that would have a separate audition from the enterance audition. 

A theory background isn't too important- there will be other people there with little to no formal theory instruction. 

The better you play, the better chance there is of them giving you money, so practicing is your friend.

Reply To Post