Saxophone Forum

by runandwrite
(7 posts)
11 years ago

If you had $20 to spend at iTunes ... ?

Let's say, just hypothetically, an aspiring alto-sax player had $20 to spend on iTunes (gift card -- can't be spent elsewhere) and wanted to buy something great to listen to and learn from in the jazz genre featuring alto sax.

Said hypothetical sax player already has some Dave Brubeck featuring the great Paul Desmond), Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins, Grover Washington Jr., Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster,  Stan Getz, Lester Young and (not that her name fits well among the above), Mindi Abair. Said sax player isn't generally a big fan of bebop or smooth jazz but loves the classic "cool jazz" sound. (And, yes, I know that not all of the above are alto.) Any specifically alto-sax greats the hypothetical sax player should look into?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: If you had $20 to spend at iTunes ... ?

Check out Dick Oatts! He has great command of the instrument and one of the best jazz sounds on alto. He has a great Duo album out with Danish pianist, Soren Moller, called, "The Clouds Above". This is what I'd spend my $20 on.

Its definitely not bebop, but its also not cool jazz. The straight ahead jazz underpinning is certainly there, but with an interesting melodic atherial or cerebral vibe. there's almost a folk like quality to some of the compositions but with intensely interesting chord changes. Described on the internet as, "Lyrical jazz melodies and improvisations influenced by Prokofiev, Reich and Radiohead."

I think Dick Oatts and Soren Moller have some duo cuts on iTunes, but I'm not sure which ones. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by runandwrite
      (7 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I listened to the samples a view times -- very nice, but I ended up going with Simple Pleasure by Vincent Herring and Saxuality by Candy Dulfer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't hate smooth jazz, just Kenny G, who was the only smooth-jazz artist I'd been exposed to.

Reply To Post

2. by tempomaster
    (36 posts)

11 years ago

David Sandborn, especially some of his stuff with Bob James. 

Reply To Post