Saxophone Forum

by Daddylonglegs3
(2 posts)
11 years ago

Imperial Alto Sax

I have an Imperial Alto SAx that I bought used from a retiring music teacher in 1972.  This was his personal horn and he had it repadded a year earlier.  The front of the bell has "Imperial" engraved in fairly large letters with embellishment around it and low on the back is the number 11343 stamped into it and below that "Made in Western Germany".  I am trying to determine it's year of manufacture and possible value.  The pads and finish are still in good condition with some of the laquer worn off the side that rubs against your clothing.

I played it for my own enjoyment about once a week until a problem with my jaw developed a few yeares ago and I had to stop playing.  I have decided to sell it.  I would appreciate any info that someone could provide.

Hubert 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Imperial Alto Sax

Does it by chance have King Imperial engraved on the bell anywhere, or just Imperial by itself? I've seen a couple King Imperials, made by Keilwerth I believe. That would line up, as they were located in Germany. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post

1. by Daddylonglegs3
      (2 posts)

11 years ago

It just has Imperial by itself.  I'll see if I can upload some pictures.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

That's probably a stencil horn, i.e. a horn branded by the distributor, not the manufacturer. Keilwerth is the best known German manufacturer of stencil horns from the 1950s to the 1980s. You could go to saxpics.com and compare the features of Keilwerths from the 1950s - 60s with your horn. Worth a shot, no guarantees.

Reply To Post