Saxophone Forum

by saxman76
(6 posts)
11 years ago

Mark VI Tenor values

Help!  I'm getting conflicting opinions on how much my saxophone is worth, and websites are ranging from $5K to > $8K > 12K.  Need some advice from here.  UMKC Jazz director told me to ask Mark Overton.

Item is a 1969 Selmer Mark VI Tenor, #163212.  99-100% original lacquer.  No major dents or ANY repair work except couple new pads and neck cork.  Otherwise it is all original lacquer-pads-neck-mouthpiece-case.

Kept it with me for some 45 years (last 33 in case in closet).  I have seen the price of these vary so much by YEAR and by how much ORIGINAL LACQUER.

Want to sell to serious player who appreciates the horn, but don't want to be lowballed out of a few $K either.  Trying to sell it locally in Kansas City area.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cycles
    (42 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Mark VI Tenor values

You will generally get what someone is prepared to pay. Original lacquer is a plus.
    Visit some stores to see what's up for sale and compare with your horn. 

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Greetings-

Your Mark VI is considered a mid-late vintage Mark VI. At 163xxx it would have the later version of the neck (raised octave saddle hinge) and ball-socket side keys along with several other later (some improved, some not improved) key mechanics. Generally speaking, the earlier series neck (which switched over at about 150xxx) tends to be more desired because of sonic reasons. Also, the earlier side-key mechanism (switched over at about 119xxx) is better as it require less maintenance and is less noisy.
         If most of the pads/felts/corks are original, it will probably be due for an overhaul at some point in the near future. Once a horn with almost 50 year old parts starts getting played on a regular basis again, things start falling off and needing to be replaced. Any potential buyer will certainly factor this into their budget.
         That being said, the horn appears to be in beautiful original lacquer. That goes a long way to many people when deciding what they are willing to pay. I can't go on the record here with an exact value for your sax without being able to examine it in person or at least being able to see much more detailed photos and being able to talk to you in person about it. But hopefully, the info above gives you some indication as to how a Mark VI is valued. Basically, it all about vintage, condition and ultimately, HOW IT PLAYS!! Since you're in KC, it may be worth a trip to Saxquest as its only a 4 hour drive down I70 to St. Louis.
         Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Feel free to call the shop if you want to talk more about your horn (314) 664-1234.

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by saxman76
      (6 posts)

11 years ago

Mark,

Thank you for the reply.  Just had Dan Thomas (UMKC) play it and check it out this a.m.  Seemed to think it was in great condition and that it played very nice (it was a joy to hear some GOOD music come out of the horn after all these years!)

Dan had an idea of a price that he said would "move" the horn, I'm just not sure yet if a quick sell is my goal at the moment.  It seemed to compare to others on the net that had been through some repairs and re-silvered or re-lacquered. (Mine is mint)  We had a good discussion over vintage horns versus brand new, and it sounded as if Mark VI's probably won't be increasing in value so much in the future since the new horns are being made very well today. My analogy on these horns used to be Mark VI is to saxophones as Stradivarious is to violins, but Dan pointed out how that wasn't quite true.

I realize it's not fair to try to pin you down on your appraisal without seeing the horn yourself, but hypothetically--All things considered, is there such a thing as a fair market value on these things ASSUMING they are in PERFECT condition and playability?

Reply To Post